5.1 out of 10

Southwest Germantown

40.0240127520507 -75.1649406399176
Great for
  • Cost of Living
  • Internet Access
  • Parking
  • Parks & Recreation
  • Public Transport
Not great for
  • Clean & Green
  • Eating Out
  • Neighborly Spirit
  • Pest Free
  • Shopping Options
Who lives here?
  • Professionals
  • Singles
  • Families with kids
  • Retirees
  • Tourists


3/5 rating details
  • Neighborly Spirit 2/5
  • Safe & Sound 3/5
  • Clean & Green 2/5
  • Pest Free 2/5
  • Peace & Quiet 3/5
  • Eating Out 2/5
  • Nightlife 3/5
  • Parks & Recreation 4/5
  • Shopping Options 2/5
  • Gym & Fitness 3/5
  • Internet Access 4/5
  • Lack of Traffic 3/5
  • Parking 4/5
  • Cost of Living 4/5
  • Resale or Rental Value 3/5
  • Public Transport 4/5
  • Medical Facilities 3/5
  • Schools 4/5
  • Childcare 3/5

"On a block-by-block basis"

Germantown, obviously founded by German settlers, is located in the northwest section of Philadelphia. It’s a neighborhood that is about two miles long and rich in history which is clear in the historic architecture.

The south section of the neighborhood went downhill in the 1990s when many residents left the area. It is now a predominantly African American community that falls in the lower income bracket with 25% of the residents living below the poverty line.

The cost of living in Germantown is inexpensive and property value is low, about 40% of residents own their houses while the other 60% rent. Many of the houses have been neglected and some abandoned. The streets also show neglect as they’re covered in trash in many places. Not every block is the same though, like a lot of Philadelphia neighborhoods things change block by block.

Germantown is accessible by public transportation and there are several school and area of interest in the neighborhood such as Johnson House and Rittenhouse Town.

Overall if you’re looking to live in Germantown, the southwest area of the neighborhood is not the first on the list of suggested areas. It does not showcase what the neighborhood can potentially offer.
  • Rich history
  • inexpensive
  • neglected in spots
Recommended for
  • Professionals
  • Singles
  • Families with kids
  • Retirees
  • Tourists

Travelling to Southwest Germantown?

Find Hotels

Unranked Streets in Southwest Germantown

Morris St

"One of the few streets in Philly I hated. "
40.0214924623404 -75.1681716329121
"It's just an alley"
40.0240840048199 -75.1628645114874

Best Neighborhoods to Live In

Best Cities to Live In

Tell everyone what you love about your neighborhood!

Leave a Review

Have a question?

How are schools? Is the area safe? What about public transit options?" Why not ask our community of locals!

Ask Now

Selling or Renting Your Home?

Maximize the selling price of your home by sharing what you love about your suburb to increase its appeal...

Leave a Review

Corporate Relocation Manager?

Enable your employees to share local knowledge in a private, trusted environment with those relocating... while building community.

Learn More