Best Small Plates
1. Isa Restaurant - known for little French small plates. Great outdoor patio and there is something for everyone. Located in the Marina District. http://www.isarestaurant.com/
2. Iluna Basque - another French small plates restaurant headed by Top Chef contestant, Mattin Noblia (from last season's show and famous for his red neck scarf). The restaurant serves up traditional and festive basque cuisine. Located in North Beach. http://www.ilunabasque.com/
3. Bin 38 - I love this place because they offer both small plates and full size plates for the more hungry. They also have a fantastic wine list. http://www.bin38.com/ Also located in the Marina District
4. Zarzuella - Spanish tapas that are cheap and delicious! Located in Russian Hill, a great place to meet up with friends. However, they do not take reservations so it's hit or miss.
5. Bocadillo's - an oldie but goodie - this place is more like an institution. Delicious small plates and brings on a trendy but hip feel. Also located in North Beach. http://www.bocasf.com/
6. Lalola bar de tapas - Another casual no reservations tapas place located on the Powel-Mason cable car line. Everything you'd want in a good Spanish tapas place.
7. Picaro - located in the Mission District (next to one of my favorite crepe places Ti Couz) another great Spanish tapas place. Great canapes and cheap too. And don't forget to try the Paella de Langosta (lobster paella). http://www.picarotapasrestaurant.com/