Is the Tenderloin neighborhood in San Francisco a dangerous place to live?

The opinions expressed here are those of the individual and not those of StreetAdvisor.
11 people following
this question

8 Answers

StBloomSF Mar 10, 2016
The Tenderloin is known as the most dangerous spot in SF, though really, most anywhere south of market is fairly dangerous. The Tenerloin has a high number of homeless people and a bit of drug culture. It is even somewhat dangerous during the day. I think I read somewhere that about one of ten murders in SF happen in the Tenderloin. It's pretty bad. Though there are some great dive bars there.
3 votes
JenMac 2yrs+
It's getting better, but I would have to agree that the Tenderloin is a far ways away from even being a gritty, hipster place. It's pretty depressing even during the day. I would not only not live there, I wouldn't really hang out there if I could at all help it.
2 votes
TinaC2 Mar 10, 2016
Dangerous? Not really. just mind your business then it's okay i guessed. I lived in Tenderloin from 2005-2012. I walked to work in downtown SF and sometimes came home around 10 pm at night. At first I was scared and learned to avoid certain street in Tenderloin like Turk St and every dark corners where the drugs trade happened (that one , just don't ask don't even look). But soon, I learned that most of the homeless never bothered and 'busy' with their own thoughts and acts. They mostly ignore you. It's just so sad to see their conditions. Police cars passed by every minutes or so. A lot of siren blaring almost every half hour. Back to topic, I even had my first daughter there, and with that I learned so many benefits living in Tenderloin, so many wonderful programs for families that live in Tenderloin. A lot of small playgrounds in the neighborhood, and there's free child care and homework helps, movie nights for families. My in-laws are still live there and with the location so strategic just 10 minutes walk any directions they can get all the thing they need such as every Wednesday and Sunday there is Farmer's market in Civic Center and SF main Library is there too near City hall. 10 minutes walk to Powell St to get the transits and to the stores. Tenderloin may not be suitable for everyone. But it did one time in my life.
1 vote
PureKrome 2yrs+
I've been through this area a few times (while visiting San Fran) and to be honest ... it's freaky .. in a bad and scary way.

Some mates of mine have a funny game we've created (but are too scared to play) => the Tenderloin Dash. Go there at night. Look for Zombie Alley (not sure of the real street name, but it's the one with the all junkie-lookin' people that look like the dead-walking) and run through there as fast as you can. If you survive - u win. The name came because those 2 mates accidently stumbled across this neighbourhood at night and thought they were going to die when they were walking through Zombie Alley.

So yeah -> very scary place.
1 vote
bhbb93 Nov 01, 2016
Yes. You're more likely to be the victim of a crime-violent or property-if you live in the Tenderloin as opposed to nearly any other neighborhood in San Francisco.
ClintD 2yrs+
YES! Lived there for 3 years and I have a friend who still lives there and I visit on occasion. When I lived there a homeless person I had befriended was beat to death. He was known to get pretty rowdy when he got drunk so there was talk he brought it on himself but still, I've known lots of people who got out of hand when they got drunk and they didn't lose their lives for it.
PonyguyA 2yrs+
Dangerous??? YES, YES and YES. Yeah, many people there are facing hard times, but when you find yourself mugged and in the hospital, you can read up on that.
AnthonyB 2yrs+
sure you may see a lot of homeless of less desirable people in the tenderloin area, but in my opinion it is not because of crimes and drugs, but because glide and st anthony church serves free meals 7 days a week. most of the people there are there for that reason. .to experience what it is to be homeless stand in the line to get a free meal and experience san francisco from that perspective. the lines have security and the people are mostly interested in eating..as a resident of the tenderloin most of the homeless are passive because they lost hope for life.

Your answer

Best Neighborhoods to Live In

Best Cities to Live In

Tell everyone what you love about your neighborhood!

Leave a Review

Have a question?

How are schools? Is the area safe? What about public transit options?" Why not ask our community of locals!

Ask Now

Selling or Renting Your Home?

Maximize the selling price of your home by sharing what you love about your suburb to increase its appeal...

Leave a Review

Corporate Relocation Manager?

Enable your employees to share local knowledge in a private, trusted environment with those relocating... while building community.

Learn More