Coney Island Highlights
1. B & B Carousell
Surf Avenue & 10th St
A good site for info and pictures: http://history.amusement-parks.com/bandb.htm
A great site for restoration images: http://www.thecidc.org/Planning/BBCarousell.html
2. The Wonder Wheel
The Boardwalk & 12th St
Info and history: http://history.amusement-parks.com/wonderwheel.htm
3. The Cyclone - probably still the single greatest roller coaster ever built
834 Surf Ave &10th St
4. Nathan's Famous - birthplace of the hot dog
1310 Surf Ave & Stillwell
5. Sideshows by the Seashore - nonprofit theater showcasing the bearded lady, sword swallowers, contortionists and more
12th St & Surf Ave
(Open Memorial Day to Labor Day)
Seasonal Schedule and pictures: http://www.coneyisland.com/sideshow.shtml
Check out their Side Show School!
6. New York Aquarium
Boardwalk & 8th Street
7. Bumper Cars
In various locations: Astroland, Deno's Wonder Wheel Park, and Eldorado's Arcade on Surf Avenue.
8. Haunted Houses
In various locations: "Dante's Inferno" at Astrolan, "Spook-a-Rama" at Deno's and the Ghost Hole
9. The Parachute Jump Towers
Now inoperational, people used to drop down in parachutes from this tower, built by Amelia Earhart's husband.
10. The Mermaid Parade - fun yearly festival, everybody comes out in their best mermaid costume. There's a contest for best costume and the judges can be bribed.
This year: June 19th
On Surf Avenue
11. Coney Island Film Festival
Movies by the beach
Check seasonal schedule here: http://www.coneyisland.com/
12. Coney island Polar Bear Club
Oldest winter bathing organization in the United States, and still going strong: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coney_Island_Polar_Bear_Club