Is Garfield Park in Chicago a safe neighborhood?

The opinions expressed here are those of the individual and not those of StreetAdvisor.
13 people following
this question

6 Answers

ryana5 Apr 18, 2018
The glaring omission here is that the crime stats everyone armchair reads is black on black and specifically concentrated to gang members and other criminal elements.

I’ve personally hosted over 4000 guests on Airbnb and lived here for 7 years and have never had a single issue other then people coming into my home with strong bias and opinion, typically that of which fades when they realize the media hype isn’t the reality.

The reality is that if you’re looking for an affordable stay 20 minutes from downtown and close to transit, this is it. Even ride share is affordable at less then $8.
michael-schultem
michael-schultem My brother is unfamiliar with this part of the Midwest and tried renting an airbnb on on West Flournoy Street near Garfield Park in Chicago. 50 feet from his airbnb, was told to get on his knees while some thugs held a gun to his head and took all of his things. Was told repeatedly that he was going to die. They let him go when a police car came around the corner. Cops told him he was lucky because they typically try to avoid that area at night. Definitely sounds likes a safe area place to me!
Aug 08, 2018
Ryan Aydelott
Ryan Aydelott West Flournoy runs through Homan Square, not a place I would choose to buy in. It's south of the expressway and you still have to go through Fifth city north of the Expressway before you are in Garfield Park. You want to be north of 290, east of Garfield Park (the park not the neighborhood), and south of Lake, at least until you get to Western.

I looked at some investment property in Fifth City, but you want to be within a block or two of the blue line as that area still has a way to go. The city can literally change in a block, and you can be in a whole different world just two or three blocks over.

Sucks your brother had a problem, but people are robbed and killed every day in Chicago, and it doesn't matter what neighborhood you are in. This poor guy got killed in River North, a fairly expensive downtown area: https://patch.com/illinois/parkridge/park-ridge-ceo-killed-river-north-stabbing-caught-tape my point being that it's not necessarily where you are, but rather more a matter of random chance with some broad statistics to help measure the odds.
Aug 08, 2018
carlottab
carlottab I was staying at the same Airbnb in Flournoy Street yesterday and the exact same thing happened to me. Three men threatening me with a gun and taking all of my things. Did not really feel safe to me either..
Aug 31, 2018
Ryan Aydelott
Ryan Aydelott Sounds like you both rented one of the houses from a fellow by the name of Mike. He buys the cheapest houses he can and then overcrowds them with airBNB.

Violating multiple laws in Chicago for both occupancy rules and the Chicago airBNB ordinance. Considering he sometimes rents as low as $9, that should be your first clue that perhaps all isn't right with the world. If the guy could charge the higher rates, he would.
Aug 31, 2018
Ryan Aydelott Nov 11, 2017
East of the park isn’t bad, west of the park and especially closer to Austin gets to be abit dodgier, crime stats encompass both areas so they are abit misleading. The park is as good as an expressway or railroad tracks as a dividing line.

Let’s be honest however, unless you are in Garfield Park to join a gang or deal drugs, your odds of being a victim aren’t much greater then in the wealthier areas of Chicago. These days robberies on Michigan Ave and $2M Lincoln Park homes with bullets flying in them is the new norm. Truth be told, I feel much more vulnerable in those areas as I’m the target there for robbery, etc.

Areas get developer interest when they become cheap enough for the math to work. In Garfield Park the math is working for quite a few people, hence the near doubling of property values since the Great Recession. Whether or not it’s overpriced when it’s still cheaper then most other Chicago neighborhoods is a personal question for every buyer and seller. At the end of the day the market (those same buyers and sellers) has told us its undervalued based on actual closIng info from the past decade. This is what banks and real money looks at when buying or investing.
Ryan Aydelott Jan 30, 2017
Like any area in Chicago that hasn't fully redeveloped, it's not the neighborhood you need to think about it's the block. Quite literally there are good blocks next to bad blocks, and it's pretty easy to tell them apart after spending some time in the area.

The crime is actually quite overrated, unless you belong to the small minority of gang members or are completely naive to urban living, you'll actually experience far less property crime (car breakins, etc) then the richer neighborhoods to the east and west. Reality is, people just aren't looking for that kind of stuff out here. Truth be told, as the area continues to improve, that will mostly likely change. This same pattern was seen in the south loop.

I've lived here for over five years, and I can honestly say I've never had any real trouble. I'm a middle aged white professional, so the odds of confusing me for a gang member are pretty slim. In talking with some of my neighbors, that's quite honestly the biggest fear and I would say a very real concern for someone considering moving here, especially if they are under 40 and black.

All in all the area I'm in is close knit and feels more like a village then a city. 20 minutes to downtown, affordable homes, and room to breathe, what's not to like?
anna-lisac
anna-lisac Thanks for this! My partner and I are considering buying a place in Garfield Park but don't have enough knowledge of the area on a block by block level. Now that it's cold and gray and folks are staying in, I'm not sure we're really getting a feel for the blocks we've visited. Can you be more specific about what areas/blocks you feel good about?

For context, my partner is a young black man and was sometimes mistaken for a gang member when living in Humboldt Park, so that fear is real.
Nov 11, 2017
maryg7
maryg7 My family and I are coming to Chicago this summer. We rented an Airbnb on West Washington Blvd. Is this a safe location for us to stay?
Apr 09, 2018
jenniferr16
jenniferr16 Safe enough but I would rent elsewhere. particularly if the trip is tourism.
Apr 18, 2018
rickl3
rickl3 Do you know if its a good idea to buy in 2018 on Monroe and Homan?
johnl13 2yrs+
Garfield Park is being touted as a "hot and up and coming area" by shady realtors who want to inflate housing prices there. It's one of the three most dangerous neighborhoods in Chicago, the most dangerous city in the United States, and a major heroin and crack market.

If gentrification happens at all, it will be 5-10 years from now - i wouldn't believe the hype and buy a home whose price has been artificially inflated in an incredibly violent neighborhood.
rickl3
rickl3 Have lived there..? Just wondering cause it sounds like you know the area well.
Ryan Aydelott
Ryan Aydelott I've lived here for about 8 years now, Monroe/Homan is OK, there's actually a small artist loft group "Switching Station" just up the street from there @ Homan/Madison. In general that spot is OK, nothing hotspotty that I know of. Are you looking at that house on the SW corner that was redone? I know after it was renovated, looked pretty nice inside.

Re: Johnl13, I doubt he lives here, if anything an armchair investor. As far as how neighborhoods change in Chicago they tend to go from Black--->Brown--->White, with the last step increasingly less so. In fact, the only hope for the City to keep it's housing stock fed is from in-migration of Hispanic/Latino families. There is currently a Black flight going on in Chicago right now, particularly acute in many South Side areas which probably won't recover in my life time (or at least until coastal flooding becomes a huge issue).
rickl3
rickl3 Thanks for the info. I'm actually looking at a gerystone building east of Homan. It's closer to Springfield near a church on Monroe at the end of the street. There is also a high school and an elementary school at the end of the block as well. I'll be honest i'm a little concerned for safety anyway but do you have any safety tips for myself and the home since you live there for so long that you can recommend?
rickl3
rickl3 Johnl13 thanks for your response. Do you know when you anticipate this neighborhood changing to becoming a lot more safe?
BCoughlin 2yrs+
Garfield Park is a fairly unsafe neighborhood. There's a fair bit of crime in much of the area and you can't really call it a safe neighborhood.
GGChicago 2yrs+
Not one of the safest neighborhoods in Chicago. It has rather dense areas of high crime, with one or two small sections that are okay. Overall, no it's not very safe.

Your answer

Best Neighborhoods to Live In

Best Cities to Live In

Tell everyone what you love about your neighborhood!

Leave a Review

Have a question?

How are schools? Is the area safe? What about public transit options?" Why not ask our community of locals!

Ask Now

Selling or Renting Your Home?

Maximize the selling price of your home by sharing what you love about your suburb to increase its appeal...

Leave a Review

Corporate Relocation Manager?

Enable your employees to share local knowledge in a private, trusted environment with those relocating... while building community.

Learn More