New to Portland, how safe is Woodstock.

Hello, my wife and I are looking to move to Portland from out of state to be closer to family. We have a 1 year old. We are looking to move to the "downtown" Woodstock area. Is this a good/safe area for young families or should we be looking at a different neighborhood?
The opinions expressed here are those of the individual and not those of StreetAdvisor.
3 people following
this question

3 Answers

nicolem34 Feb 02, 2018
My husband and I lived on Woodstock for about 3 years. It was great then, but has improved a lot since we left. It used to have divey, college-y sort of atmosphere due to Reed College being just down the street..... but it's grown up into an area that's a little nicer, more family-friendly. Some of those divey elements are still around (in a good way!) but there's a lot of new stuff.... e.g. Double Mountain is a family-friendly pizza restaurant and brewery that went in recently. New Seasons grocery (similar to Whole Foods, but a local chain) is also new to the neighborhood. Places like this tend to speed up the gentrification process, and wealth drives safer neighborhoods.
Janie Rayburn Dec 31, 2017
Grrr, my other answer got eaten. How lame, street advisor! Save people’s comments when you lead them into a sign up,

Super F-in safe. Woodstock is considered one of the more expensive, although not the most expensive, neighborhoods. It butts up Against Laurelhurst and read, which are both arguably in the top 10 best places to live in Portland. However, I believe Woodstock also bumps up against FosterPowell which is definitely the beginning of the Eastside proper where things start to get sketchy again after leaving inner east side.
Janie Rayburn Dec 31, 2017
Although it’s not at all considered downtown,

Your answer

Travelling to Woodstock?

Find Hotels

Best Neighborhoods to Live In

Best Cities to Live In

Tell everyone what you love about your neighborhood!

Leave a Review

Have a question?

How are schools? Is the area safe? What about public transit options?" Why not ask our community of locals!

Ask Now

Selling or Renting Your Home?

Maximize the selling price of your home by sharing what you love about your suburb to increase its appeal...

Leave a Review

Corporate Relocation Manager?

Enable your employees to share local knowledge in a private, trusted environment with those relocating... while building community.

Learn More