Loop Theater Audio Tour
From the CLA's website, you can click on a location on the interactive map and listen to a short clip about the featured location. Of course, you can download the printable map and a zipped file of the audio clips for use on your favorite MP3 player. Just go to http://www.chicagoloopalliance.com/looptheloop/theaterloop/
The tour covers about 2 miles (16+ blocks) from Randolph Street south to Congress Parkway, between Millennium Park and LaSalle Street. If you are taking the tour virtually, the website includes a small thumbnail photo of each site. Each clip includes a bit of the building's history, architectural features, previous and current use, and interesting factoids.
If you're taking the tour in-person, all the theaters can be viewed from the outside. Most are best viewed from across the street from where they are located, but you'll want to go up close and inside the lobby (if permitted) to see even more spectacular features!
Here's the list of the 10 featured tour locations:
1. Chicago Theater – 175 N. State St.
2. Gene Siskel Film Center – 164 N. State St.
3. Ford Center for the Performing Arts/Oriental Theater – 24 W. Randolph St.
4. Goodman Theater – 170 N. Dearborn St.
5. Cadillac Palace – 151 W. Randolph St.
6. LaSalle Bank Theater (renamed Bank of America Theater, formerly Schubert Theater) - 13 W. Monroe St.
7. Auditorium Theater – 50 E. Congress Pkwy.
8. Orchestra Hall/Symphony Center – 220 S. Michigan Ave.
9. Harris Theater – 205 E. Randolph St.
10. Storefront Theater – 66 E. Randolph St.
This is a fascinating tour of some of the most famous theater landmarks in Chicago's Loop.