Loop Landmark Architecture Audio Tour
From the CLA's website, you can click on a location on the interactive map and listen to a short clip about the featured location. Of course, you can download the printable map and a zipped file of the audio clips for use on your favorite MP3 player. Just go to http://www.chicagoloopalliance.com/looptheloop/landmarkloop/
The tour covers about 2 miles (16+ blocks) from Michigan Avenue and Wacker Drive south to Congress Parkway, between Buckingham Fountain in Grant Park west to Dearborn Street. If you are taking the tour virtually, the website includes a small thumbnail of each site. Each clip includes a bit of the building's history, architectural features, previous and current use, and interesting factoids.
If you're taking the tour in-person, all the buildings can be viewed from the outside. Most are best viewed from across the street from where they are located, but you'll want to go up close and inside the lobby (if permitted) to see even more spectacular features!
Here's the list of the 23 featured tour locations:
1. London Guarantee Building – 360 N. Michigan Ave.
2. 333 N. Michigan Ave. (Original site of Fort Dearborn)
3. Carbide and Carbon Building (Hard Rock Hotel)
4. 35 East Wacker (formerly the “Jeweler's Building)
5. The El at Wabash Ave. and Lake St.
6. Page Brothers Building – 177-91 N. State St.
7. Chicago Theater – 175 N. State St.
8. Macy's/Marshall Field's on State – 111 N. State St.
9. Reliance Building (Burnham Hotel) – 1 W. Washington St.
10. Carson, Pirie, Scott Building – 1 S. State St.
11. Palmer House Hotel – 17 E. Monroe St.
12. Inland Steel Building – 30 W. Monroe St.
13. Marquette Building – 140 S. Dearborn St.
14. Monadnock Building – 53 W. Jackson Blvd.
15. Fisher Building – 343 S. Dearborn St.
16. Harold Washington Library – 400 S. State St.
17. Leiter II (Robert Morris College/former Sears HQ) – 403 S. State St.
18. Buckingham Fountain – Grant Park at Congress Pky. & Columbus Dr.
19. Start of “Route 66” Marker – Jackson Blvd. & Lake Shore Drive
20. Art Institute of Chicago – 111 S. Michigan Ave.
21. Jeweler's Row (Wabash Ave. between Washington and Monroe)
22. Michigan Avenue “Streetwall” - Madison St. & Michigan Ave.
23. Chicago Cultural Center – 78 E. Washington St.
This is a fascinating tour of some of the most famous landmarks of the Chicago Loop!