So why does Staten Island have such a bad reputation among New Yorkers?

The opinions expressed here are those of the individual and not those of StreetAdvisor.
2 people following
this question

1 Answer

Sentinel 2yrs+
I would not necessarily say that Staten Island has a bad reputation among New Yorkers (I mean, its a BOROUGH anyway), but in reality, all us New Yorkers from Manhattan, Bronx, Queens and Brooklyn do not like Staten Island for its distance. For example, I am an eighth grader, and I wanted to go to Staten Island Tech as a high school. However, my parents said, "Are you crazy enough to travel to Staten Island on a FERRY?!?!" I mean, I didn't care about the distance and transportation, but my family did. Regardless, Staten Island is a good place to live at. Its quite and peaceful. However, there is only one train working at Staten Island, and us New Yorkers from the other boroughs feed off of trains when we go to work. No variety of trains= no us. In short, Staten Island is a borough us New Yorkers do not like, yes, but it is crucial for the structure of NYC.
1 vote

Your answer

Best Neighborhoods to Live In

Best Cities to Live In

Tell everyone what you love about your neighborhood!

Leave a Review

Have a question?

How are schools? Is the area safe? What about public transit options?" Why not ask our community of locals!

Ask Now

Selling or Renting Your Home?

Maximize the selling price of your home by sharing what you love about your suburb to increase its appeal...

Leave a Review

Corporate Relocation Manager?

Enable your employees to share local knowledge in a private, trusted environment with those relocating... while building community.

Learn More