Favorite New York City movies
(and even Bollywood movies)have used New York City as their backdrop. Since I grew up overseas these movies helped create an image of NYC that was always glamorous and exciting of course the reality as I know now is quite different . Even then whenever I watch a movie that is shot in New York City I still feel a sense of belonging as if it is 'my city' and I am happy to be a part of it.
1. Saturday Night Fever- 1977 This started it all.. Tony Manero and his white pantsuit shimmied and shuffled his way into my heart as he strutted his stuff at that Brooklyn night club.
2. Kramer v/s Kramer- 1979 introduced me to Dustin Hoffman and educated me about divorce
3. Tootsie- 1982 Dustin Hoffman cross dresses and becomes Dorothy Michaels padded bra et al.
4. The Pope of Greenwich Village - 1984 a obscure movie set in Greenwich Village which starred Eric Roberts( Julia Roberts' brother).
5. Desperately Seeking Susan- 1985 lace gloves, dark eyeliner, exposed bra straps, chandelier earrings, messy hair and a phenomenon called Madonna.
6. Moonstruck- 1987- adorable Cher and Nicholas Cage romance
7. Wall Street- 1987 Gordon Gekko and all his greed rings true even today
8. When Harry Met Sally-1989 Meg Ryan's unforgettable orgasm scene shot at Katz's Delicatessen of all places.
9. As Good As it Gets -1997 brilliant Jack Nicholson plays a grouchy old sod.
10. Youve Got Mail-1998 -love in the Internet age.
11. Autumn in New York- 2000- weepy starring Richard Gere and Winona Ryder
12. Maid in Manhattan- 2002- Jennifer Lopez and Ralph Fiennes fairytale romance all over Manhattan
13. Something's Gotta Give-2003- Diane Keaton and Jack Nicholson star in this feel good ' mature' romantic comedy.
14. Hitch- 2005 romantic comedy Will Smith as a love guru- and Eva Mendes
15. The Devil wears Prada- 2007 -behind the scenes at a high fashion 'glossy' rumored to be none other than Vogue.
16. Sex and the City -The movie- 2008 depicting the life for four NYC singletons based on the hugely successful TV series of the same name
17. Julie and Julie-2009 my current favorite movie- a delightful movie where Chef Julia Child's recipes are tried out by blogger Julie Powell in her tiny L.I.C kitchen