Is East Flatbush a safe neighborhood for a young family?

My family is thinking of moving to east 54th and Beverly Road. What is this neighborhood like? Our daughter is only 6 months old, so safety is our biggest priority. My husband and I are professionals in our late 30s.
The opinions expressed here are those of the individual and not those of StreetAdvisor.
9 people following
this question

6 Answers

JillP Jun 26, 2016
Me and my husband are both teachers, we are originally from Brooklyn and didn't want to move too far from our parents so we bought a house in east Flatbush a 5min walk from church Ave. We have great neighbors and as long as you use common sense, the neighborhood is great. There are a lot of young families moving in recently. Walk around the neighborhood and see for yourself.
2 votes
Chris Ameigh
Chris Ameigh As one of those young families "moving in recently", I can vouch for this answer. Most of these other posters must not actually live here and don't really know this beautiful neighborhood. The crime rates are higher in touristy areas than in residential areas. https://maps.nyc.gov/crime/ this map shows you the violent crime rates in different hoods (and the numbers are NYPD numbers). Violent crime as of 8/31/16 is higher in PLG, Bedstuy, Crown Heights, Clinton Hill, Greenpoint, Williamsburg and Downtown Brooklyn.
Sep 15, 2016
Chris Ameigh
Chris Ameigh Checking in a year later. It has only been positive. Great community. Lovely neighbors. We don't have the fancy restaurants and stuff, but you can afford to live here. If you have a car, it is like living in the suburbs. You can be at Fairway, Costco, Target, Home Depot, Petco, and the mall in 15 min and parking in the homes around the cemetery is plentiful. You can be at the beach in 25 min by car! Or you can use public transportation to be into Manhattan or more affluent Brooklyn in 25 to 30 min. I would recommend to anyone looking to buy a home to look here.
Jun 19, 2017
Add a comment...
vv76 Mar 16, 2017
I moved to East 54th Street about 6 months ago. With my 12 year old. I live on a lovely tree-lined Street and feel safe here. Safety was important to me because I was moving here with my son. I checked out the crime map and was reassured by the statistics. My neighbors are nice people who say hello and offer a smile when you walk by. The worst thing I can say about the neighborhood from my own experience is that the commute can be annoying because the area doesn't have a lot of subway choices (but that's not a deal breaker for me).
1 vote
BowtieBK 2yrs+
NO! East Flatbush is not a safe area. There are a few nThere are Projects and alot of run down areas. East Flatbush has also been in the news for riots after the shooting of a boy by NYPD. I would try Bedford Stuyvesant, Crown Heights or a different part of Flatbush (by the B and Q trains is a relatively safe neighborhood) I wouldn't recomend E. Flatbush for you esp with a child.
1 vote
ClaribelDiaz-Gil Dec 09, 2015
No ! And it's too bad bc it's a great location and they have beautiful homes .
TrudyJ 2yrs+
God NO! One of the worst areas in Brooklyn. Though about 25-30 years ago it wasn't the way it is now. Back then it was safer, cleaner and the people who lived there were respectable. But Not Anymore!!

Go to Marine Park instead.
bigmel 2yrs+
NO! I used to live on East 52nd and Beverly Road and it has gotten HORRIBLE.. there was a shooting of NINE people just 2 months ago, and unfortunately that is a good barometer of where this neighborhood now is..

Your answer

Travelling to East Flatbush?

Find Hotels

Best Neighborhoods to Live In

Best Cities to Live In

Tell everyone what you love about your neighborhood!

Leave a Review

Have a question?

How are schools? Is the area safe? What about public transit options?" Why not ask our community of locals!

Ask Now

Selling or Renting Your Home?

Maximize the selling price of your home by sharing what you love about your suburb to increase its appeal...

Leave a Review

Corporate Relocation Manager?

Enable your employees to share local knowledge in a private, trusted environment with those relocating... while building community.

Learn More