Worst Neighborhood in New York City

So everyone has their favorites, but I want to know about what neighborhoods people avoid in NYC? What neighborhoods do you never venture into, or are scarred/feel threatened when you wander into?
The opinions expressed here are those of the individual and not those of StreetAdvisor.
67 people following
this question

67 Answers

midwoodBrick Jan 31, 2013
This entirely depends on whether you're a tourist, recurring visitor, former local, new local, etc.

Basic guidelines are generally the same, however:
The "worst neighborhood" in the great city of New York can not be defined in one name. One can assume you're referring to danger. Or perhaps interest, or attractions, or housing prices...

Let me start with this.
99.999% of tourists stay in an around Manhattan. Let's face it- Manhattan's got it all, from a tourist's point of view. Attractions, hotels, "real New Yorkers all over Times Square" (as if...). However, there are some intriguing areas (surprise) around Manhattan.

I don't want to get too far off track. But I will state that if you're a tourist, in terms of interest and avoiding suburban areas, I'd stay within the following boundaries:
The First Hump of Queens (east of Middle Village), Northern Brooklyn (don't go further than Prospect Park), and the South Bronx (stay close to Manhattan).

In terms of safety, which I'm sure is what you're asking, I recommend AVOIDING the following (if you're knew:)

Brownsville-East New York (my mother's side hails from here, so clearly I'm not biased)
Bedford-Stuyvesent-Clinton Hill (though it's getting better, it's not QUITE there yet)
Long Island City (it also lacks things to do)
Mott Haven (simply boring, but nice residentially in some places)
and Washington Heights (not much to do there either, but some nice parks in the area so good for resedence)

By all means, visit Harlem. It's very nice.
The Lower East Side is (when you find the right knish deli) my favorite neighborhood.
Brooklyn Heights is gorgeous.
Chelsea is hip.
The Upper East Side is chi-chi (you're almost guaranteed an elderly woman in a fur coat)

But ask a New Yorker when you're there
7 votes
AdamS
AdamS Amazing answer!!!
Jan 31, 2013
EddyKleinfeld
EddyKleinfeld So if we go in those bad neighborhoods bad guys gonna come to us and rob us ?!? In those so call bad areas,it ain t have no womans and childrens?...I am white and i hanged out in the worst neighborhoods of N.Y at night ,it was in the late 90 s and nothing ever happen to me.U just have to mind your own business and dont stare at peoples and of course dont walk around with a map of N.Y and a camera .Most peoples will live u alone thinking u are a undercover cop (who will go out there at night ?!).
Nov 04, 2013
dalewrolphjr
dalewrolphjr I've been to New York once, it was different. Can't say I would like to live there. I went out at 1:00 am in the morning, walked around and found a Pub. Had a beer and went back to the hotel, can't recall where we stayed, I was across the street from Central Park. Seemed safe enough for a City anyway
BeeWise
BeeWise Most crime ridden areas, around America not just n.y are actually mellowing out. Theres still some places where its a little chaotic but if your not doing dumb, hot, reckless shit, no ones gonna mess with you, now to all you materialistic folks don’t feel like you can walk around with a gucci outfit and a whole bunch of expensive jewelry on (because not just in low income areas, but in the even middle class areas in the usa, not just in nyc) you will stand out to those who maybe scoping and those people exist anywhere.
KarlFaust
KarlFaust I lived there in the early 70's. I had heard it was a tough town with muggers and people who could care less about strangers. I must have met 5 new friends a day. Some of the nicest people I have ever met. Great town but so expensive. I recall standing on 6th Ave in fron of Nathan's and looking at the new Kentucky fried chicken across the street. As I was from the south (where a snack box then was .69 cents) I was amazed at the 2.49 cent ad price. One of, if not THE world's greatest city.
Mar 17, 2014
ClarkPowellII
ClarkPowellII if you're knew its if you're new
Sep 02, 2014
dalewrolphjr Dec 01, 2013
I think anyplace you live in the world, it can be unsafe. Especially if your in the wrong place at the wrong time, pretty much sums it up.
streetwiseguy Dec 14, 2012
Any area in NYC can be dangerous if you don't know where you're going or how to behave. Use some common sense, travel with crowd, stay out of desolate areas and streets and you'll be fine, unless, of course, you're unluclky. Any big city is the same. That said I would stay the hell out of Harlem, South Bronx, Bed-Sty, and East New York unless you know what you're doing.
hotjesssica954
hotjesssica954 Harlem its not like it used to be i hear , in fact its becoming more desirable as time passes.
May 24, 2013
EddyKleinfeld
EddyKleinfeld This was in the 80 s-90 s ,now any part of N.Y is safe since The Jiuliani era.I am from Switzerland and 2 years ago ,2 gangs started to shoot at eachoters in the city center in broad day light .this town has 15 000 peoples who live there and it is in the nice alpes (ski and all of that) ,one guy died.
Nov 04, 2013
EgleEaglez
EgleEaglez I think the term unsafe or worst are not comply to people who are not involved with gangs members. For instant: If you are one of the gangster's member then you are no in safe mode. Because you are dealing with people with weed, cocaine. So you have to be prepared 24/7 that there are some people who are watching you. For people are just walking to his way and has nothing to do with these things I think there are nothing that cause him harm. Might some conditions are apply.
dalewrolphjr
dalewrolphjr Well EgleEagles, there is truth in what you say. Its called being in the wrong place at the wrong time however in general, you are correct. You pose no threat to the gang members or drug users unless you start snapping pictures of them or smarting off to them. The same in this is you as a person should have the right to clean up your home town but the police Dont seem to back you. The laws protect the criminals as much as it protects the good
RichardGarey
RichardGarey Way to generalize the South Bronx. Yankee Stadium is very popular with tourists. The Grand Concourse has the largest collection of art deco architecture in the United States. Last night I dined asian fushion and microbrews down at Ceetay in Mott Haven. Harlem has a ton of great spots as well.
sharp4 Nov 05, 2012
In Manhattan:

You basically want to avoid the entire south eastern portion edge of the island. Good general rule to follow is to not go east of Avenue B, and not to go south of Delancy St. There are some exceptions, but you can find yourself in some bad areas.

North of around 100th st (Harlem) is hit or miss...in general Harlem is getting better, and large swaths are very safe, the west side is much safer than the east, particularly the area around Columbia...but in general, you should expect a higher degree of crime than in southern areas. Some areas are still very bad.

Basically the entire west side of Manhattan west of 9th avenue to the Hudson anywhere between 42nd street until you hit Chelsea is a wasteland. There are huge stretches of area where that are very industrial. and it can get very desolate at night. Not unsafe per se...but one of the few places you can walk around NY without too many other people.

On the subject of Chelsea, you should avoid the projects between 28th and 24th between 8th and 9th.

You will generally find unsavory characters mulling about the area around Penn Station, The Port Authority Bus Terminal, Union Square, and the Intersection of Canal/Broadway. These are high traffic areas, and nothing is going to happen to you...but if you dont want to deal with that...than you can avoid it.

In general, you should avoid walking around in Central Park at night.

The subway is generally safe in Manhattan, at all hours. The biggest risk is late at night, getting caught in the middle of some drunk/drugged out people getting into a fight with one another. If you are on the subway late at night a rowdy group gets on the train...switch cars. Other than that you are probably good.
112233445566
112233445566 those suggestions are completely fake!!i m living in east village btween av b and c and i love this area..it's simply quite and pretty different!and it's also safety(we are not speaking of 20 years ago there!!!and actually the area is almost completely genetrified!!!!justa have a look of the price of the apt and rent!!!
maybe except harlem which could be dangerous in some area especially during night time..the other area are completely safety if u compare them with badford -or east new york or bushwick and sm area of cooney island for example (and i m just speaking about brooklyn!)!!! please don't make people scarried without reasonable reason......
Dec 09, 2012
12345m
12345m Are you kidding me? I go to school across the street from those "projects" in Chelsea. They are COMPLETELY safe, and to reinforce this idea to a great extent... I've been INSIDE them, AND know people who live in them. The lady I helped to see her cat/dog adoption party reach a reality seemed pretty stable. This goes to show what so many people in this discussion have been saying, LOW-income does NOT constitute HIGH-crime. ESPECIALLY in a neighborhood like Chelsea. Maybe you were held up in front of the organic smoothie place on 27th and 8th with that guy in my yoga class on 23th and 7th, he looks really unstable.
Dec 30, 2012
SmartHedge
SmartHedge I hundred percent agree with the two comments above. Sharp4 must have slept through the last couple of decades and thinks we're still in the early 80s. The lower east side is totally safe. Different parts of NYC are probably different for guys than it is for girls, and like any big city there is crime, but as far as the projects in the lower east side and in Chelsea - SAFE. I was in the lower east side during Sandy, no electricity and wind, right on Ave B or C i think. As safe or as dangerous than any other part of the city. It's a project but it's not inhabited by thugs who are just waiting for someone to venture in by mistake.
Jan 05, 2013
sduconn
sduconn For a tourist, these areas would seem dangerous. While low-income may not constitute high-crime, it doesn't seem like the nicest place to visit (poor aesthetics, not much in the way of activites). Remember a local wouldn't need to inquire as to the desirability of certain areas and a person moving to a city obviously wouldn't be looking to live in a projects.
Jun 04, 2013
Jakimpoleon
Jakimpoleon sonytiwari333 and 112233445566 I've been to bedford Stuyvesant and there is projects there .there wasn't any ghetto action going on in those projects whatever I'm saying their isn't buckshot the only ghetto there is the people from east new York and brownsville entering the trains going downtown. If you want to see go to the south bronx and those to hoods in Boleyn next down from bed Stuyvesant. Bed styv used to be ghetto until Jews and whites moved in just like harlem.
Dec 30, 2013
Jakimpoleon
Jakimpoleon I meant to say bullcrap in my comment where buckshot is in
Dec 30, 2013
LuizRobertoC
LuizRobertoC Luiz Roberto comments
I agree with Sharp4 comments, moreover because his comments is in the sense of prevention and not in the sense of denigration of neighbourhoods. As prevention is the mother of security, I shall agree with the direction of comments.
Congratulations.
Jul 16, 2014
sonytiwari333 Jun 29, 2012
The worst areas in Manhattan (small areas of Harlem, Alphabet City and Washington Heights) do not compare to the worst in Brooklyn (areas of Bed-Stuy, Brownsville and East New York). Its not really even close.
2 votes
MadelineCarol Sep 20, 2013
as for lack of safety, I would say South Bronx, although there seems to be a strong sense of community there. The neighborhood I am leaving, (Glen Oaks), however is much safer but the sense of community is completely lacking and people are more worried about keeping up with the Joneses and the police precinct is a joke.
Everyone thinks running to the suburbs is the answer, but let's face it, this is 2013 and crime is everywhere.
RichardGarey
RichardGarey Please try not to generalize the South Bronx. I reside in the the South Bronx. Some neighborhoods have higher crime than others. Overall crime is down like it is throughout NYC. There are a number of up & coming neighborhoods in the South Bronx including the Grand Concourse, Mott Haven, Melrose, and Longwood. There are new restaurants, stores, hotels, etc. The baby boomers all sought refuge in the burbs. However, these days most young professionals are clamoring to be either in Manhattan or on the closest neighborhoods to it in Staten Island, Brooklyn, Queens and the Bronx.
OrlandoSonido
OrlandoSonido most of the people here are describing NYC from 20 years ago, NY is a safe city, i live in NYC since 1983 and i never been shot, mugged or assaulted, never got my car stolen, and i work nights, i work in nightclubs and come home at 4 and 5 AM every weekend, just use common sense, don't talk to strangers, don't stare to anybody because WE DO HAVE A LOT OF WEIRDOS , don't argue with others drivers, you could easily get shot or beat up for that LOTS OF AGRESSIVE AND BAD DRIVERS HERE , the only place i try to avoid in NYC is the upper west side of Manhattan, 135 st to 207 st, most of the Dominicans up there are plain stupid ( and i'm Dominican) but if you ignore them you'll be ok and have a good time, some parts of jamaica Queens are not so good either and parts of East NY and Crown Heights, number 1 rule that worked for me: MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS ,i now live in Howard Beach Queens with white people, the best neighborhood i've ever lived in my 31 years here , NYC is one of the most exiting city in the United States
Mar 11, 2014
MaryA here here Orlando!
OliviaJ Mar 31, 2012
March 2012 - Here's my typical walk through Harlem: I venture out my front door where the SUV crashed and flipped over, past the liquor store that was broken into with a saw and robbed twice in March. I walk past the school wear 3 thugs brutally mugged someone in broad daylight by breaking his jaw and eye socket. I stroll past the townhouse complex where criminals threw a gun from their vehicle while under hot pursuit by police, and I glimpse at another building's stairwell where I saw a women screaming as a few guys 'disturbed' her. I walk past daytime stabbing location #1, then past murder location #2. I walk down the street where I had my own attempted robbery then cross over to Central Park where a guy was publicly masturbating. I may venture down another street where a guy was recently shot, and perhaps through the subway station where a shoot-out and death occurred. All this and more happened within 2 months, and most in the daytime.

There's an abundance of dog poop on every sidewalk, and sometimes people park their cars in the middle of the street and go for a trip to the Bronx for a few hours before returning. Neighbors share their music by blasting stereos from their home or cars. The smell of weed is constant. The rats are friendly and squeak before they cross the sidewalk so you don't crush them.
Rachellelulu
Rachellelulu hahahahahahaha!!!! I know it's not funny cuz crime sucks but thanks for being honest! People should be aware that things like this may occur in this neighborhood...my personal favorite neighborhood in Manhattan is Greenwich Village...it's pretty pricey but so beautiful and charming!
RichardGarey
RichardGarey For anyone not familiar with present day Harlem, Olivia's comment is b.s. Perhaps, this little imaginary world she has illustrated was accurate 40 years ago.
TamelaRush
TamelaRush It sounds like she is speaking about East Harlem if people are parking there to go to The South Bronx. Her comments don't describe West Harlem.

But the dog poop comment made me cringe. I have seen a man poop on the sidewalk on West 71rst street in the super expensive Upper West Side. You are lucky in Manhattan if the poop you see is from a dog.
NeverSleeps Apr 28, 2010
I don't think anyone is saying that Harlem is worse than the Bronx? And you're right, @elysium, Harlem is much safer these days.
hotjesssica954
hotjesssica954 I hear mixed thoughts and comments about how safe its harlem. I'm glad to hear good things about harlem..as im moving there June 1st 132st by 5th av ( ANY THOUGHTS?)... I hope i learn to love Harlem as my new home and plan on learing everything east Harlem has to offer.
May 24, 2013
TamelaRush
TamelaRush I live in West Harlem and feel very safe. It's friendly as well. Not sure about East and central Harlem. Ut I can add that I often walk over to the Bronx Terminal Market from West Harlem and never feel unsafe.
Nov 02, 2013
elysium Apr 23, 2010
I'm surprised most people are saying Harlem, I heard the Bronx was much worse. I haven't been to the Bronx, but I know that Harlem is now a lot safer with all the gentrification going on.
hhusted Mar 18, 2010
@AJ: I wouldn't be caught dead in Soho - sorry BroadwayBK, just my opinion about it from observation and being there a couple of times. Other people may think differently. I also don't like the area around 1st Ave and 27th, 28th, and 29th Sts. These streets are loaded with homeless people and drug addicts.
Jack Santo Aug 14, 2008
Hi AJ,

Some people think East Harlem is pretty bad. I personally don't think you should be walking near Central Park or Washington Square at night, and any other "shady areas" like that. Also the lower east side can be a bit scary as well at times.

HOWEVER To be perfectly honest NYC is a very safe place, especially compared to what it was about 15 years ago. Use your good judgement and don't walk anywhere that looks dirty or rundown and youll be fine :)
JessicaLinan
JessicaLinan Could have not said it any better my self! . Agree 100%! ... Use your good judgement and don't walk anywhere that looks dirty or rundown and youll be fine :) Harlem going tru major gentrification and where i just moved into looks very fine and safe!
dalewrolphjr
dalewrolphjr I've read so much I just Dont understand why anyone would stay there. Get out, move West. I've 40 min from Palm Springs, I work in San Diego, LA, Riverside pretty much cover all of Southern California. I would leave come this way pleanty of work get out and raise your family someplace safe.
MaryA
MaryA And you're saying those areas don't have crime? Really doesn't Southern Ca have a huge gang problem? Hmm, throw in the earthquakes and the Santa Ana winds burning my house down, not compelling me to move out there so quickly.
MelissaM6 6 days ago
Hi all! I am a single mom and I am treating my son to week in NYC for a week in August for our summer v-vay! Anyone know of any safe but affordable hotels that is easy to public transportation in the city? Manhattan seems to be crazy, ridiculous on prices. I was looking at Queens, Brooklyn, and possible lower Bronx/Harlem? Those places seem the most reasonable. Any suggestions or advice is most helpful!! :) Thanks in advance!
MaryA Jun 24, 2014
There is no neighborhood that is the worst. Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens, Manhattan all have their bad neighborhoods. If you are a tourist you really would'nt find your self in these areas. If you plan on living here, do your research. To that person from England that said America sounds tough, I can say the same thing about England because I know nothing of England. It's all about what you're used to. I was born and raised in Queens NY and have since moved to the burbs for better schools and much needed quiet time. Haven't lost the accent though. lol.
JamesB2 Jun 18, 2014
Bay Ridge in Brooklyn has become one of the worst places to live over the past twenty years nothing like it was when i was a child.I lived near 237 Dahlgren Place and a few of the neighbors were impossible to live next too. they had parties all the time people doing drugs drinking outside keep the tv or music on loud till the early morning hours and various people living with them for months, a real hippy and bitch i lived next too do not rent anywhere near Dahlgren Place 237 or will have a lot of stress dealing with the losers who have no respect for any of us neighbors.
chantellex Jan 01, 2013
Im moving to america and all of these people saying its unsafe to walk around on your own etc etc.. Its making me think twice? Is it really that bad?? I dont want to move somewhere where im am not safe 90% of the time...
Frank646
Frank646 You'll be fine. There is more of you that inhabit the five boroughs than the bad people of the world. These are small pockets of the city that are pretty far removed from the mass populated areas that you'll most likely live and work in. Harlem isn't a hop-skip from mid-town Manhattan, by foot it would take you over an hour to walk normally to. Alphabet city, the street named by letters in the LES, aren't Starbucks-warm-and-fuzzy, but they sure as shit aren't what they were in the 80s or even the 90s. Brooklyn has its pockets of good and bad, but the good is over taking more and more, and it's, apparently, the place to be as a young person and/or artsy type, and hipsters that haven't grown up yet. Queens can be good too; you can get a lot for your money for a place to live and the transit is pretty good. There's no reason to live in the Bronx unless you're in need of a really decent price on a place to live, but it's a bit far removed if you really want to "live" in New York City. Staten Island, it's a borough in theory, but I think NYC needs to re-zone it as part of Long Island because it is basically all suburban and looks nothing like the city at all, but could be a good alternative if you're desperate for an affordable place and the ferry to Manhattan is free, but then you have to live on Staten Island, which won't really be city living. There are lots of great people form SI though, don't get me wrong. In fact, every borough has interesting eclectic people that inhabit it so safety-wise, you'll be fine. There's also the "backdoor" of Manhattan in Jersey(Hoboken: all safe & Jersey City: Newport; Journal Square, parts of the Heights, but avoid Downtown) and good transit.
Jan 30, 2013
ChristinaHolder
ChristinaHolder I'm going to have to disagree with that part about the Bronx. I've lived in the Bronx almost my whole life (I'm 22) and have witness a crime once. There are nice neighborhood in the Bronx and even have areas that are somewhat suburban feeling. Riverdale, Throgs Neck, Country Club, Pelham Bay, and Pelham Pkwy are all pretty nice residential neighborhoods in the Bronx. Also, it is certainly not far removed from the feel of living in New York City. You can also get to Manhattan in less than an hour by train.
Dec 10, 2013
StephenHawking Oct 20, 2012
I have to say that this conversation has been most amusing! If you imagine the voice of each character in the blog and read their message its hilarious!! I would have to say that AussieTraveller, Refinedgold, NYorBust, TeamArsenal, OliviaJ and montecillo my favorites!! Brilliant!! :)
S15500 Oct 09, 2012
Just follow your instincts. dont fault somebody or a group of people for being low income, home less, or living in a housing projects. And stop with the racial profiling. Any place in ny can be dangerous but damn you would think after living in such a diverse place you all would be a little open-minded. Try actually going to those places or meet people from there instead of listening to your other ignorant friends paranoid stories
BeeWise
BeeWise right, real talk all that paranoil will make you a target ANYWHERE now a days, you should keep your p's and q's open anywhere but know how to live.
jakesoky Oct 01, 2012
In 2010, 39 murders were reported in Harlem. Its way safer compared to 2005. In 2005 it was reported to have somewhere around 75 murders. In 2012 im guessing the murder rate should be 35? And were 3/4 into the year which means about 9 murders are still to be commited.
youzer Jun 13, 2012
Housing projects does not mean there is crime. Get real. A low-income family does not mean they are criminals. Listen to yourselves!!!!
BeeWise WORD!!!
Joseph Carter Jun 13, 2012
The Lower East Side is pretty bad, there are A LOT of housing projects but its also pretty Quiet. There are some streets you want to avoid like E Houston st E Delancy st E Bway and E Montgomoery sr
Rachellelulu
Rachellelulu If you are gonna say this about the Lower East Side you may as well say it about all of Manhattan. The LES is the most expensive, trendy neighborhood in Manhattan now. Most people can't even afford it unless they're wealthy!
JayDeeGrande
JayDeeGrande Lower East Side is expensive and trendy because people have no place left to go, and people from out of town make it trendy and gentrified but when it comes down to it, ANYWHERE there are a bunch of housing projects is going to be sketchy. People from the mid-west move to NY and find the grit and crime novel, and that makes the neighborhood du jour trendy. But I don't care how open minded those folks pretend to be, if they were buying a house where they wanted to raise kids... they would NOT be buying next door to a low income housing project. Even the people who live there would tell you the same thing. I am low income, and I wouldnt be found dead near one... or maybe I would!
Jan 17, 2013
cynthiagrace Jun 12, 2012
Soho is fine at night! a friend and i walked around at 2 am after a concert and felt totally safe.
I would avoid Harlem/ Washington heights.... especially the east side of Broadway in the heights (Audubon street... a lot of dug trafficking.) and maybe some of those projects areas (like Amsterdam between 60th and 66 behind lincoln center, there are projects there, and actually a famous russian ballerina was mugged there after a performance at the met a few years ago...) Like everyone has been saying, if it looks shady, best to avoid it than dive right in.
youzer Jun 02, 2012
First of all: I completely agree with Kal31. 90% of the comments here are bullshit results of prejudice people who have never spent time in the neighborhoods mentioned, nay probably haven't even ever set foot there cause they're cowards.
I'm a 22 year old white lady living in Bed-Stuy with two other women. We have a beautiful large brownstone that is affordable. We have the most friendly neighbors that greet us. Yes there are abandoned houses in our area and the streets aren't clean and yes this is a low-income neighborhood. But at least it's got heart and so do a lot of the people here. Like Kal31 said, it is just awful for such a great portion of the society to think that people with low incomes are criminals. More than in any other rich neighbordhood in New York City. I think I can speak for Harlem and the parts of Bronx, too.

And Montecillo: Queens has some beautiful affordable areas. So does the Bronx. And of course, wonderful Brooklyn. The further away from Manhattan, the cheaper. Good luck and I hope you make it!!!
Rachellelulu
Rachellelulu I agree 100%! Thank you!
dalewrolphjr
dalewrolphjr Why do people stay there. Rents high crime rate is high why not move to like San Diego, Riverside Ca, Anaheim Ca, Palm Springs. Whatever your paying there you could puchas a home or even rent a 3000sqft home. Maybe its due to work but jobs are here to. Take a chance look you maybe surprised. Here are Great Places to live. Red lands Ca, Fullerton Ca, Anaheim Ca, Newport Beach Calif, Costa Mesa Ca, Santa Ana is OK. Riverside Ca, Loma Linda Ca, Helmet Ca, Palm Springs Ca, I'm about 35 min from Palm Springs. Get out of there go someplace safe and someplace you would like to raise a family just showing the opportunity.
MaryA
MaryA Jobs and excitement--no place like it in the world. I've visited Ca several times, it's beautiful and the weather is fine, but I find it a bit bland. But that's because I grew up here and I'm used to diversity, culture, excitement, night life, four seasons, great food, beautiful beaches and mountains a couple hours car ride away. We have it all quite frankly.
SapphireT
SapphireT I love Cali too but it's not super-safe either in San Diego or LA. And come on, rents and mortgages are super-high there, too, especially anywhere near the coast.
Jul 25, 2014
montecillo Apr 15, 2012
I wish I could say tht sounds bad compared too the city where I live but flints way worse. Rs 100 hunnit
montecillo Mar 20, 2012
Aint nobody answer my question. Wats the cheapest place to live in new York?
Rachellelulu
Rachellelulu Cheapest? It depends...probably areas of Queens...and they're pretty nice and not too far from Manhattan. I really like Astoria...its nice, safe, close to the city and not that pricey...look into it. :)
MaryA
MaryA Astoria is great. Family oriented, diverse, close to city. One bedroom in private house going for $1400 a month. If that is too much you can go further out, Middle Village, Ridgewood, Whitestone.
teamarsenal Mar 19, 2012
i live in one of the worst areas of london,england.better known as hackney,which most people know as one of the major hotspots for the london august riots 2012.but compared to what some of you guys have said,hackney it sounds like a breeze,one of the most dangerous boroughs(areas) in england.even tottenham,which also is an epl(english premier legue football team) which is another MAJOR hotspot for the london riots doesnt sound that bad.though it is best you walk around in a hoodie and you have to act tough unless you want to be dissed.but seriously,america sounsds really tough......
kal31 Mar 11, 2012
Wow you people are total cowards, honestly. Alphabet city dangerous? Anywhere in Manhattan, including Harlem is perfectly safe. I'm a white 27 yo living in Harlem for the past six years was the best experience of my life, the diversity, cross section , great music and great cheap food to be found. Met some amazing folk.. Unbelievable you people. Maybe east tremont in the Bronx is low end - but great photographic opportunities and still relatively safe , though definitely derelict. Low income families and homeless people are human beings, their situations are just different. Just be clever and don't go flaunting your wealth around certain places and you'll be fine.
I had a friend beat up in the east village recently - probably one of the safest and most crowded parts of Manhattan, in broad daylight - but he was asking for it honestly. Point being doesn't matter where you are - things can happen. But compared to other parts of the world, NYC and its surrounding boroughs are perfectly safe.. Just be smart about how you treat people, if you feel sketched out just be on your way and don't stop or attract attention. Sure there are some places I'd rather not be at 3AM by myself, but in the 10 years I've been living in NYC I've never had a single bad thing happen to me, mugging or confrontation wise. Maybe it's cos I don't dress like a ponce, I dunno.
Rachellelulu
Rachellelulu agree for sure!
JessicaLinan Agree!!!
montecillo Mar 05, 2012
What's the heapest place to rent at in new york. I plan on living there. Currently I live in one of the most dangerous cities in the u.s half the city I live in is either abandoned burnt down or used for prostitution, trappin( trap houses) gangs killing lots of robberies. I've seen it all I use to live next a prostitute who was married to her pimp nd they were dealling every drug u could think of from crack to pills ect.. nd they even shot up our car cuz my lil sister nd her frinds climbed into their tree. They would do drug deals in front of our house they would prostitute in front of our house steal water from our hose. Ect. I'm use to it all specially with riding the city bus everyday to nd from school. So I don't care if the neighborhood is ghetto as long as the rent is affordable. Much appreciated.....-brenden
AdamS Feb 01, 2012
Thanks for the update AussieTravller. While I've never been to Brooklyn, I've heard it is a beautiful place. I have however spent a lot of time in Manhattan since I created this post a while back and I can safely say (and agree with you) that most neighbourhoods in Manhattan are safe and sound. Great to hear another aussie's opinion though!
AussieTraveller Feb 01, 2012
Hi I'm an Australian who visited New York late last year and visited Harlem, Stayed in East Harlem and visited the Bronx. Compared to Australia it was pretty dodgy but i didn't find any areas unsafe lower and Mid Manhattan was very safe day/night and had no problems. However when went to visited friends we got directions wrong and accidently ended up in two places that me and my two friends actually feared for our safety. The First was Queensbridge, Brooklyn around 40th Avenue and 10th Street (we were supposed to be in manhattan on 10th Avenue and 40th Street) we were there on a Friday night and it was real sketchy for us. The Second was Jamacia, Brooklyn this was also quite sketchy for us 3 and didn't last long there.

Please keep in mind were where there only a week however we felt safe in Manhattan even in Harlem but some areas in Brooklyn weren't Great.
TimZappasodi
TimZappasodi Not to be a schmick... but Queensbridge and Jamaica are both in queens... Just Sayin :-)
Jun 02, 2013
NYorBust Dec 28, 2011
thanks for the in by the way my kids & i love waiting for supermar we cryed
thanks once again
RefinedGold Dec 28, 2011
Hello NYorBust,

If you don't mind the commute, I would suggest New Jersey. The rent here is 900 for a studio, 1000-1100 for a One bedroom. That's in my building but that also includes newly renovated apts., 24 hour security, all utilities included; just a thought. Also, there are other areas with less expensive rent but slightly further away from NYC. I'm approx 8 miles outside of town. Also in my area Charter Schools are the best bet for children who want to learn. New Jersey on-the-whole has a relatively low drop-out rate.

Now if you really want to live in NYC and want less rent, try the outer boroughs. And BTW Harlem is nowhere near as bad as Movies, Television, and the 6 o'clock news make it out to be. I know looooaaaaaads of six-and-seven-figure salaried individuals who live there; Not-to-mention a certain former President of The United States has his office on 125th St! They work in the industry as well. I don't know what your wallet can take but if you want there's a whole culture of education luminaries in Harlem, starting with Geoffrey Canada from the Waiting for Superman documentary, who can offer your children an excellent education.

As for your television endeavors; I would suggest looking in mandy.com. That's where I found something.

Hope this was helpful.
NYorBust Dec 24, 2011
i want to live in NY im from LA CA grew up south side places like watts compton south central all can be dangerous but people do live there lived a little while in east LA and some time in woodland hills CA where its nice and safe i just moved from hollywood blvd where i was paying 1300 for a one bedroom in a gentrifyd area my kids went to hollywood high i moved to iowa by mistake call it tempory insanity im moving back LA because i have no choice i want NY so bad it hurts but i got kids & no job or place to stay in NY can anyone help me get started i would be ur personal slave for a year LOL i a man rising 2 kids & 1 friendly pitbull help PLZ
i worked in award show gift lounges did all the labor for them it was cool have meet lots of cool celebs & and a few not so cool i want to work in movies carrying equipment & such dose anyone know any companys or temp agency i should try i can be contacted by ph at 213-344-7551 or by email at joshuavasquez2000@yahoo
also looking for a good perfoming arts public highschool for my kids
ehyou Nov 19, 2011
@RefinedGold
It's fine for you to give your opinion. But telling others what their commentary should and should not be is small-minded. Their opinion is just as valid as yours.
RefinedGold Sep 07, 2011
I think this is the most absurd, racially motivated, and revolting commentary on the City of New York! I would not be surprised one bit if everyone who is leaving a vituperative comment has even spent 'quality' time (at least one week or more) in any of the neighborhoods of which they take issue and umbrage.

I'm from New York (born and raised) and I would not be surprised if any of you are actually from New York. I have visited a multitude of cities in the United States and I can assure you that Harlem and The Bronx have nowhere near the amount of crime and poverty of other urban and suburban areas in this country.

You speak of the homeless problem, but when was the last time you volunteered in a soup kitchen (as I did). You talk of staying away from various neighborhoods. Well, for some strange reason Harlem appears to be good enough for an Ivy League school such as Columbia University. And The Bronx has been and always will be the home of the New York Yankees for 27 World Series wins, mind you. When was the last time you actually sat down in a restaurant in Harlem, such as Sylvia's, and really examined the culinary delights of 40 years of cooking experience? When was the last time you visited the Schomburg Center for more than 10 minutes?

If you really want things to change, try re-educating the persons that you are egregiously trying to subjugate.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE stop perpetuating a completely outdated, uninformed, morally sick series of behaviors, attitudes, and statements that border on propaganda! This is the 21st Century; ACT LIKE IT!
dalewrolphjr
dalewrolphjr Well you have to admit there is crime there right. Where do you recommen this person move that's safe a crime free to at least a positive level?
I'm just asking as I've not been to any of these cities and only visited NY once. From Palm Springs Cail.
MaryA
MaryA Hoboken-NJ anywhere on Staten Island, Forest Hills-Queens, Astoria-Queens, Bayridge- Brooklyn, Carroll Gardens-Brooklyn, Brooklyn Heights, Howard Beach- Queens, Whitestone-Queens Riverdale-Bronx, Pelham Bay- Bronx, Throgs neck- Bronx, Rosedale Queens. Lots of nice decent neighborhoods out there.
NeverSleeps Apr 14, 2010
@hhusted So much going on right now? Terrorist attacks? Bomb threats? Wasn't it just one failed subway attempt that didn't make it out of Pakistan? Not to lessen the implications of this, but come on.
uptowngirl Apr 14, 2010
@hhusted I have a camera with me at all times, I love taking random photos which I often use for my various blog postings and such.
hhusted Apr 13, 2010
@Everybody: With so much going on right now with terrorist attacks and bomb threats, any time someone does something suspicious or uses a camera to take pictures of something that is normally not taken, people will get scared. It is called paranoia. I agree with Uptowngirl. Canal St is loaded with counterfeiters. That is why I hate going down there. I was told by a cop that if anyone buys anything counterfeit, whether knowingly or unknowingly, will get arrested for possession of counterfeit goods. So stay away from that area.
Uraniumfish Apr 13, 2010
@uptowngirl That made me laugh, now remembering last summer when I was in a tiny German town in the mountains, and like a good tourist was snapping pictures of the pretzels and baked goods in a shop window. The bakery lady got all bent out of shape and told me not to take pictures of her product. I thought, "Lighten up lady! They're just baked goods! We're in the middle of nowhere!"
uptowngirl Apr 13, 2010
@Uraniumfish maybe that guy was a counterfeiter? Canal Street seems to be crawling with vendors of fake bags and the like who are now being raided by the authorities so maybe he thought you were taking a pic to show the cops. I experienced a similair situation when I tried to take a pic of a streetside food vendor . He became paranoid and asked if I was from the inspection department , apparently someone had taken a pic of him once and submitted it to the authorities who then came out and slapped fines on him for various violations. Poor guy , he was petrified that I was going to do the same.
Uraniumfish Apr 10, 2010
Friend of mine was taking pictures at Canal Street some time ago and a guy came up to him and ripped the film out of his camera, and made him understand under no uncertain terms that he was not to be taking any photos that day. Now, I don't know what kind of tough-guy-mafia stuff was going on to make the guy so paranoid, but I'd be a little shaken from that and move on out of there as fast as I could go. I know there are seriously dangerous neighborhoods in Brooklyn and the Bronx, but parts of Manhattan can be shady too.
BroadwayBK Apr 09, 2010
Apparently I have never commented on this forum before so I don't really feel the need to stick up for myself so much but: I live in Bushwick. And I frequent Crown Heights, because of friends down there. Uhhh...not the safest places but I guess I would prefer to be in lower Manhattan in the early hours of the morning. But, duh, crime happens anywhere, and the kind-of-good thing about the Bushwick/Bed-Stuy border where I live is that there are always a bunch of people roaming around at all hours - including cops. Not so much in lower Manhattan, which can be really creepy late at night.
Doze2 Apr 09, 2010
HAHAAH ! If yall think Manhattan is bad, you wouldn't last a day in parts of Brooklyn, the Bronx, and South Jamaica Queens. Maybe it's because you're not used to it or maybe people look at you funny cause you look like tourists . But all i know is that yall cannot survive in Crown Heights, Bedstuy, Brownsville, East New York, South Bronx, Flatbush, Bushwick, South Jamaica Queens, Parts of Harlem, Washington Heights, etc. So stop thinking your hard because you walked through Lower Manhattan at night haha .
uptowngirl Mar 24, 2010
@hhusted very true!! well said.
hhusted Mar 24, 2010
@Uptowngirl;That is the difference between people. You grew up in a city and I grew up in the country and suburbia. So what I can tolerate you can't and vice versa. That is also what makes us unique.
uptowngirl Mar 23, 2010
@hhusted I grew up in a big, bustling city and really cant imagine living in the wilderness however pretty it is. I would go stark raving mad.. though I must admit I do like living near the water.
hhusted Mar 23, 2010
@Uptowngirl: She's a scaredy cat. :) :) Ha. Ha. If I had a chance to live in her area, I would grab it. I went to visit a friend who lives in the area, just like your family friend. When I went to visit, I felt such peace there. I heard noises at night, but because I was raised in such an environment, those kind of things didn't and still don't bother me.
hhusted Mar 23, 2010
@JVS: I have to disagree with you. I went to San Fran for a week and felt such a loving vibe there. If I had a chance I would move to the place. It is 100 times better and safer than NYC in my book. At least that is from observation and the vibes i felt. I actually talked to many people in San Fran who moved there from NYC and said the move was the best thing they could have done.
uptowngirl Mar 22, 2010
@ajadedidealist I couldn't agree more, I feel more safe in NYC than anywhere in the suburbs. We have a family friend who lives in a big house in the middle of nowhere in Poughkeepsie in upstate New York. Her husband sometimes goes on hunt trips and then when she is alone in that big house all the creaks and sounds scare her so she locks herself in her bedroom on the first floor and parks her car just below her bedroom window. Just in case someone breaks in and she needs an escape route out of her bed room window. Bizarre but true.. all the beauty of nature in the world wouldn't convince me to live there. I rather live in a cramped , NYC apartment. I need to see and talk to people.
ajadedidealist Mar 22, 2010
I always feel really safe in crowded NYC. I remember visiting a friend in the country, in a "safe" suburb. It was so quiet and deserted that I felt for sure a mugger was around the corner - my instinctive NY-er response is "noise = people = safe," "quiet = dark street = bad" But no mugger - just bucolic New England
Jason Spencer Mar 21, 2010
I must say I don't think Soho is dangerous. I've been out a few times at 3am and felt safe. And I must say NYC neighborhoods feel safer than parts of San Francisco, one night I strayed one block from Union Square and felt for sure we would be mugged. But that's a whole new topic!
ajadedidealist Mar 21, 2010
I hear you, @JenMac. I like Alphabet City during the day, and it's certainly gentrified since the Rent days, but it's still much less gentrified than other neighboring areas
JenMac Mar 20, 2010
uraniumfish: Noooo! I don't think Soho's dangerous . . .I just can't stand it :) I was saying that I think Alphabet City is super shady at night. It really scares me more than any other neighborhood when it's late.
Uraniumfish Mar 20, 2010
@uptowngirl But I think the park is harmless in the daytime when the elderly women are there. I found it uncomfortable to walk there at night, though.
Uraniumfish Mar 20, 2010
@JenMac Wait, am I reading this right? You think Soho's dangerous? What? I agree right around Canal street at night is a little shady, but...

@JVS Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised about Columbus Park. The neighboring streets are full of tiny, dark, narrow alleyways, and I remember walking quickly by one night alone and kind of regretting my decision.
JenMac Mar 19, 2010
Said it before . . . I'll say it again -- even though it's getting annoying :) . . . Soho! Yuck. Although, the area formerly known as Alphabet City is the creepiest at night. It looks like Carprini Green from Candyman.
uptowngirl Mar 19, 2010
@JVS homeless folk are now a common sight in most NYC neighborhoods nowadays. I have walked by Columbus Park a couple of times usually on my way to J&R World from Chinatown and have never really noticed anything fishy. The park always seems full of elderly Chinese folk who tend to come here to socialize with friends or play mah jong or other such games.
ajadedidealist Mar 19, 2010
Wow, creepy, @hhusted! Thanks for the tip. I've been around there once or twice before, and felt a few skeezy vibes, but never had any information to substantiate my gut reaction.
hhusted Mar 19, 2010
@JCS: Columbus Park? Bad area. I went by there once and felt the worst vibes. I did see a drug deal go down and I scurried out of there as quickly as I could. I never went back. This was about 9 months ago. I have no idea if the area is better now. That was my experience then.
Jason Spencer Mar 18, 2010
How safe is the area around Columbus Park? (lower end of Chinatown around Civic Center). Last visit I noticed quite a few homeless people and while I cant verify looked like some drug deals being done around the basketball courts.
DaleRolph
DaleRolph How safe is china town for a white mail 45 to 50
uptowngirl Mar 18, 2010
Actually Hamilton Heights which is located in Upper Manhattan on the West Side also often has crime issues so I think we should add that to the list as well.
AdamS Mar 17, 2010
What about just Manhattan? Are there any dodgy neighborhoods left or are they all 100% safe?

Great to see so many people responding! Many thanks :)

AJ
uptowngirl Mar 17, 2010
I would go with Harlem as well but there are parts of Brooklyn which are also a bit dodgy.
hhusted Mar 15, 2010
I wouldn't go into Harlem or the Bronx. I've been attacked while in the Bronx. And Harlem looks to scary to me.
ajadedidealist Mar 15, 2010
I haven't visited Harlem since the gentrification happened, with the exception of one venture to see The Dark Knight when it came out, as the theatre there was the only one with any seats left! It seemed pretty average - not particularly scenic, and a bit crowded with too many neon signs/chain stores/etc to be really pleasant, but not unsafe.
jspick Sep 01, 2008
Are you talking about NYC or just Manhattan? I would suggest not to venture too far into Harlem. That's definitely one area I always avoid. Crime is at an all time low though.
BOSSYBUZZY Aug 29, 2008
I'm going with parts of Pelham Bay, Bronx
nyboy666 Aug 28, 2008
Has to be Harlem. While they say it's improving with development it still can be very scary.
JessicaLinan i disagree
JulianShpinar
JulianShpinar Probably the areas NE of Flatbush Avenue in Brooklyn, especially Brownsville!
Nov 05, 2013
BillB2
BillB2 Im originally from nyc. Left in the late 70's for Houston. Everybody should live in nyc at least once to experience the culture which I see fading compared to years ago. Perhaps the best reason to live in nyc is if you are young & pursuing a carer in one of the arts like fashion, theatre, acting, finance etc. Growing up there in the 60's was amazing & a beautiful time to be a new yorker. My fathers family came from the lower eastside & my mom is from the upper eastside. They ended up in the bronx I think in the 30's or 40's after they saved enough money. I love nyc especially midtown Manhattan were I spent much of my time. Ny'ers are real & very friendly people. They tell the truth whether its what you want to hear or not. Other places including texas not the same level of raw honesty. I am very proud of my nyc roots.
Jun 17, 2014
MaryA
MaryA NYers have a bad reputation for some reason (maybe its the demeanor) but yes we are pretty friendly people and we help anyone including strangers when they need a hand. I found whenever I travelled out west (this was in the 80s & 90's)and someone heard I was from NY they always had a negative comment to make. Couldn't figure out why all the hate for NY. Don't know if that's changed since, haven't had the desire to go back.

Your answer