Is it reasonably safe for a single woman in Washington Heights, NY?

My daughter is going to school in New York, and has an apartment in Washington Heights. She (and me) is not feeling terribly safe. Should she be worried??
The opinions expressed here are those of the individual and not those of StreetAdvisor.
10 people following
this question

7 Answers

TracyD 2yrs+
Many of my friends who are public school teachers live in the area- it's a lot less expensive than most of Manhattan. No one had problems that I knew of, and I always felt safe when I spent time there.
2 votes
RubinaHassan 2yrs+
I would not worry about the cat calls. Just keep walking. It is a cultural thing. It happens in Rome(Italy), Madrid, Athens, and India too not just Washington Hts.
1 vote
JenMac 2yrs+
Yes, Washington Heights is pretty far up there; and, yes, it is New York City. But, crime can happen anywhere. As long as she exercises common sense, she'll be just fine. The nice thing about nearly every neighborhood in Manhattan is that there are people out pretty much 24 hours a day. She should look into getting mace, though, for the times she may have to walk home from the train late at night. Other than that, she's fine.
1 vote
BS5 2yrs+
This is such a dated question. NYC is the safest big city in America and Washington Heights is the third safest neighborhood in Manhattan, after the Upper East and West Sides (according to the official NYPD crime stats). Meaning places like the East and West Village, the Lower East Side, and Midtown have more crime than Washington Heights, Washington Heights is a great place to live if you are looking to live on the island of Manhattan. It offers great deals for those who are willing to tack on 15 minutes to their subway commute. It is a poor neighborhood and the streets aren't the cleanest, but residents are very friendly. Great Mexican, Dominican and Ecuadorian restaurants are aplenty. Japanese, Chinese, Indian and Thai places are able to deliver, but are few and far between.
BS5
BS5 http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/crime-safety-report/ranking
Add a comment...
purplev 2yrs+
I (a 22 at the time year old single woman) moved to Washington Heights (176th and St, Nicholas, then 170th and Amsterdam) in 2008-2010 and while I felt safe, I wasn't exactly happy walking around on the streets there. It's not crime-ridden or anything, and I never got threatened, but I could not step foot outside my door without the lovely cat-calling, both in English and Spanish. And not nice things - there were some very, VERY disgusting things said. I moved to Bushwick once I could FINALLY afford a security deposit, and nothing like that was ever said. Washington Heights is known (from what I've heard) as harassment zone.

Anyway, she may be on a different subway stop, or closer to Inwood, and she won't get as much of that. If she's on 168th on the A/C, near the hospital, she's in a nice place. If it it has changed, great. But don't move east of St. Nicholas, stay the heck west. And don't move near Highbridge Park.

Sorry if I've freaked you out or anything, but she might as well expect it if she's not there yet. She'll be safe, just annoyed.
sarahschwartz6
sarahschwartz6 Do you know anything about 160th and Amsterdam? I am looking at a place there and unsure about the area...

Thanks.
purplev
purplev I was on 170th and Amsterdam - In general, look west - Amsterdam/Audubon are still kind of sketchy.
Add a comment...
jakesoky 2yrs+
Yes, Washington Heights is notable for its past, but is much safer now. Being a Gramercy native, id say this neighborhood has a great charm
tammalama 2yrs+
Thank you! I did tell her to buy some mace. :-)
Just a mother from the rural midwest worrying a little.

Your answer

Best Neighborhoods to Live In

Best Cities to Live In

Tell everyone what you love about your neighborhood!

Leave a Review

Have a question?

How are schools? Is the area safe? What about public transit options?" Why not ask our community of locals!

Ask Now

Selling or Renting Your Home?

Maximize the selling price of your home by sharing what you love about your suburb to increase its appeal...

Leave a Review

Corporate Relocation Manager?

Enable your employees to share local knowledge in a private, trusted environment with those relocating... while building community.

Learn More