Most dangerous parts of New York?

What parts of the city would you avoid if you were a tourist in town? Obviously you need to be careful in Harlem but what other areas would you consider dangerous. (to walk by day)

In my area (Brooklyn) I'd say Bedford and I always avoid most of the Bronx these days.
The opinions expressed here are those of the individual and not those of StreetAdvisor.
16 people following
this discussion

22 Comments

nyboy666 Aug 11, 2008
Ive had some scary moments in the Lower East side, usually at night. It all comes down to how well you look like you fit in. You can get mugged around Washington Square if you have a nice watch on!
LesterQuirk Aug 18, 2008
I have only had a run in once about 2 years ago on the subway near Greenwich Village. Almost got mugged, but scarred the asshole off.

most people don't realise this but NY has quite low crime

here's a good wikipedia entry on crime in new york:

adriancheekycho Sep 01, 2008
Harlem. I was bashed walking to friends place a few years back. Not a very nice experience.
Uraniumfish Jan 02, 2010
East Harlem's generally scarier than West Harlem. Manhattan Avenue uptown is pretty creepy.

Below Delancey on the east side isn't really where I'd want to walk around at night.

I was recently downtown very late at night in the civic center, around the courthouse, and it was so deserted that I found it unsettling. Plus you could see a van parked from which people were being handed free meals. I think that area is a big hangout for the homeless after dark.
uptowngirl Jan 03, 2010
I agree with Uraniumfish, East Harlem is a quite scary. One of my favorite restaurants Moustache has an outpost there and I always avoid its East Harlem location at nights even though its only a couple of stops away from where I am located by subway.
hhusted Jan 03, 2010
No doubt. To me the worst neighborhoods are the Bronx and Harlem. I used to live in the Bronx and got attacked twice. So I would not recommend going there.
jaged Jan 07, 2010
I got punched in the face for no reason when I was in tenth grade back in 2005. These group of punks came out of no where and started talking smack to me and my friends and one of the kids said, "FUCK THIS" and sucker punched me in the face. This was in broad daylight too, around 120th and broadway.
hhusted Jan 08, 2010
Have you had any instances like that since then? I hope such attacks doesn't become a trend.
jaged Jan 08, 2010
I haven't been to Harlem since, mainly because I live in Brooklyn, but stuff can happen like that around neighborhoods, such as Harlem, especially if there is a public school near and if it's around the time when public school ends. Kids just kind of want to start fights, or maybe it's part of gang initiations, and aren't afraid to just go up to a random stranger and start a fight. I'm pretty good at avoiding these kinds of situations, but these kids came out of no where. I'm not a coward, but I was kind of afraid these kids were gonna pull a razor blade or knife if I fought back.
Uraniumfish Jan 08, 2010
Do you live in the area? what were you doing there jaged?
jaged Jan 08, 2010
Nah I don't live in Harlem, but I was going with three of my friends to my boy's house in Harlem.
hhusted Jan 15, 2010
How old is your boy? Maybe your son should think about moving out of that neighborhood, if it is that dangerous.
jaged Jan 17, 2010
Haha, when I say my "boy's" house I mean one of my good friend's house. He is not literally my boy, like my son lol. My friend has lived in Harlem his whole life and said he doesn't have too many confrontations, but he is black so that may something to do with it. I'm white so that may be why I clocked.
Uraniumfish Jan 17, 2010
Yeah, sounds like a case of boys trying to play rough and show off to their friends.
ajadedidealist May 11, 2010
Harlem? I thought that since gentrification Harlem was a lot, lot safer/more "middle class" than before.
Any bets that @checkRZ is a troll?
Moshane Oct 10, 2011
Today 10-10-11 i asked my mom which one is more dangerous Harlem or Brooklyn she said Harlem because there were street gangs and homcides but brooklyn is the 2nd most dangerous to.
Thekingofgkings Sep 10, 2012
I say the South Bronx is the worst. Even though it has gotten better compared to how it was back in the 70's and early 80's. Other than that, the South Bronx still has some very bad areas. It still needs to be cleaned up and stuff.
jakesoky Sep 30, 2012
South Bronx, Brownsville, ENY, Harlem, and Bed-Stuy. Nyc is really safe, just have to avoid those areas, it can get scary. Harlem is improving slowly, but i believe in about a decade it'll be like the rest of Manhattan.
jakesoky Oct 01, 2012
In 2010, 39 murders were reported in Harlem. Its way safer compared to 2005. In 2005 it was reported to have somewhere around 75 murders. In 2012 im guessing the murder rate should be 35? And were 3/4 into the year which means about 9 murders are still to be commited.
BrentHutchinson Feb 24, 2014
I live in E Harlem. Well, 103rd and Lex. I love it here. I've been here for a few months now and I love it. It's different from upper W side, Manhattan, but it's not bad at all. Harlem used to be bad in the 70's and 80's but now it's actually kind of boring how much less dangerous its reputation has gotten. Everyone has this preconceived notion of Harlem but it's not bad at all. At least around here. I used to cop drugs above 150th st. It was kinda shady LOOKING around there but...
NourN May 26, 2014
Which neighborhoods are the best for living in Manhattan? I'm doing this data analysis project, and I am expected to compare to cities in Manhattan. But I live in Michigan and I don't have personal knowledge about New York and its neighborhoods. I wish I did.. it would make this easier for me. I appreciate everyone's help.
JohnJ4 2 days ago
Hi! Is the 110th street in east harlem dangerous? Can i use the subway on the night?