Most dangerous parts of New York?

What parts of the city would you avoid if you were a tourist in town? Obviously you need to be careful in Harlem but what other areas would you consider dangerous. (to walk by day)

In my area (Brooklyn) I'd say Bedford and I always avoid most of the Bronx these days.
The opinions expressed here are those of the individual and not those of StreetAdvisor.
41 people following
this discussion

71 Comments

nyboy666 2yrs+
Ive had some scary moments in the Lower East side, usually at night. It all comes down to how well you look like you fit in. You can get mugged around Washington Square if you have a nice watch on!
LesterQuirk 2yrs+
I have only had a run in once about 2 years ago on the subway near Greenwich Village. Almost got mugged, but scarred the asshole off.

most people don't realise this but NY has quite low crime

here's a good wikipedia entry on crime in new york:

Harlem. I was bashed walking to friends place a few years back. Not a very nice experience.
Uraniumfish 2yrs+
East Harlem's generally scarier than West Harlem. Manhattan Avenue uptown is pretty creepy.

Below Delancey on the east side isn't really where I'd want to walk around at night.

I was recently downtown very late at night in the civic center, around the courthouse, and it was so deserted that I found it unsettling. Plus you could see a van parked from which people were being handed free meals. I think that area is a big hangout for the homeless after dark.
uptowngirl 2yrs+
I agree with Uraniumfish, East Harlem is a quite scary. One of my favorite restaurants Moustache has an outpost there and I always avoid its East Harlem location at nights even though its only a couple of stops away from where I am located by subway.
hhusted 2yrs+
No doubt. To me the worst neighborhoods are the Bronx and Harlem. I used to live in the Bronx and got attacked twice. So I would not recommend going there.
jaged 2yrs+
I got punched in the face for no reason when I was in tenth grade back in 2005. These group of punks came out of no where and started talking smack to me and my friends and one of the kids said, "FUCK THIS" and sucker punched me in the face. This was in broad daylight too, around 120th and broadway.
hhusted 2yrs+
Have you had any instances like that since then? I hope such attacks doesn't become a trend.
jaged 2yrs+
I haven't been to Harlem since, mainly because I live in Brooklyn, but stuff can happen like that around neighborhoods, such as Harlem, especially if there is a public school near and if it's around the time when public school ends. Kids just kind of want to start fights, or maybe it's part of gang initiations, and aren't afraid to just go up to a random stranger and start a fight. I'm pretty good at avoiding these kinds of situations, but these kids came out of no where. I'm not a coward, but I was kind of afraid these kids were gonna pull a razor blade or knife if I fought back.
Uraniumfish 2yrs+
Do you live in the area? what were you doing there jaged?
jaged 2yrs+
Nah I don't live in Harlem, but I was going with three of my friends to my boy's house in Harlem.
hhusted 2yrs+
How old is your boy? Maybe your son should think about moving out of that neighborhood, if it is that dangerous.
jaged 2yrs+
Haha, when I say my "boy's" house I mean one of my good friend's house. He is not literally my boy, like my son lol. My friend has lived in Harlem his whole life and said he doesn't have too many confrontations, but he is black so that may something to do with it. I'm white so that may be why I clocked.
Uraniumfish 2yrs+
Yeah, sounds like a case of boys trying to play rough and show off to their friends.
Harlem? I thought that since gentrification Harlem was a lot, lot safer/more "middle class" than before.
Any bets that @checkRZ is a troll?
Moshane 2yrs+
Today 10-10-11 i asked my mom which one is more dangerous Harlem or Brooklyn she said Harlem because there were street gangs and homcides but brooklyn is the 2nd most dangerous to.
I say the South Bronx is the worst. Even though it has gotten better compared to how it was back in the 70's and early 80's. Other than that, the South Bronx still has some very bad areas. It still needs to be cleaned up and stuff.
jakesoky 2yrs+
South Bronx, Brownsville, ENY, Harlem, and Bed-Stuy. Nyc is really safe, just have to avoid those areas, it can get scary. Harlem is improving slowly, but i believe in about a decade it'll be like the rest of Manhattan.
jakesoky 2yrs+
In 2010, 39 murders were reported in Harlem. Its way safer compared to 2005. In 2005 it was reported to have somewhere around 75 murders. In 2012 im guessing the murder rate should be 35? And were 3/4 into the year which means about 9 murders are still to be commited.
I live in E Harlem. Well, 103rd and Lex. I love it here. I've been here for a few months now and I love it. It's different from upper W side, Manhattan, but it's not bad at all. Harlem used to be bad in the 70's and 80's but now it's actually kind of boring how much less dangerous its reputation has gotten. Everyone has this preconceived notion of Harlem but it's not bad at all. At least around here. I used to cop drugs above 150th st. It was kinda shady LOOKING around there but...
NourN 2yrs+
Which neighborhoods are the best for living in Manhattan? I'm doing this data analysis project, and I am expected to compare to cities in Manhattan. But I live in Michigan and I don't have personal knowledge about New York and its neighborhoods. I wish I did.. it would make this easier for me. I appreciate everyone's help.
JohnJ4 2yrs+
Hi! Is the 110th street in east harlem dangerous? Can i use the subway on the night?
GoldieL Dec 25, 2014
East Harlem for sure. Anything past 96th Street is considered high crime areas. 125 and Lex couldn't be any scarier.. too many housing projects on that side compared to West Harlem.. Washington Heights and Inwood is much safer than East Harlem and el Barrio. Central and West Harlem is coming up but the local pop. isn't too happy about gentrification. Brooklyn is considered a lot more dangerous than the Bronx in crime statistics. Brooklyn has much more beautiful and gentrified neighborhoods than the Bronx. the Bronx is still the poorest borough and county in NYC n NY. There is a surge in middle to upper middle class families in the Yankee Stadium area. Anything around JFK airport..(Jamaica, South Jamaica, East New York, Canarsie) is dangerous. but NEW YORK CITY is the safest city in the USA.
JamesK2 Mar 22, 2015
39 murders in harlem in 2010 ? I am from Liverpool England ,a city of 500,000 where there has only been two murders in 20 years both of them made headlines in the press as it is most unusual ,but my country does not have gun laws like America I guess that is why there were only two murders I can walk anywhere there day & night & know I am completely safe
EricS3 Mar 28, 2015
JamesK2, I hope you realize that most gun crimes committed in the US are with illegally acquired firearms. Plus NYC has very strict gun laws, so I'm willing to bet any gun used in a crime there is either stollen or bought on the street, so the laws are irrelevant.

Gun laws are also irrelevant if the mugger has a knife...
BenM2 May 15, 2015
I'm from England and want to go visit the odb mural in bed stuy if I go in the morning will it be safe
AbelHernandez Jun 10, 2015
Just know where you are going. Being safe in NYC doesn't have to do with what time of the day you will do your activities. Things in NYC can happen at ANY TIME. A good neighbor of mine got shot dead looking for directions in East New York Brooklyn. He was lost and asked some kids in a corner for directions and instead a 14 year old gave him a bullet. BE SAFE !
AbelHernandez Jun 10, 2015
And Goldeil: You are absolutely correct in regards to Jamaica South Jamaica etc. I live in Jamaica, and yes the freaks come out at night? Not in Jamaica, the freaks are ALL day up and down the streets. Crazy loonies on Jamaica ave and Hillside ave. Lots of stabbings robberies everything lol.
KateS3 Oct 14, 2015
I used to live in Morningsode Heights. Sometimes the subway was sketchy, depending on the time of day (close to Harlem). I used to have issues walking up Broadway from 103rd in the dark, as a young female walking alone. If anything felt "off" I'd just head over to the Hudson and have a nice jog home. People exercising aren't usually bothered, pro tip.
KateS3 Oct 14, 2015
OH. And can I just say... PLEASE BE MINDFUL IN CENTRAL PARK! And if it's dark, just don't go.
JamesK2 Oct 14, 2015
kates3 move to London .you are safe there .
JamesK2 Oct 14, 2015
I would not venture in to central park at night because I know what would happen to me .I can walk through hyde park in London anytime & know I am safe .I can ride the tube [ subway ] any time knowing I am safe ,I can walk in any part of London knowing I am safe .London has the same population as new York a big park like new York & a similar subway but what a difference in safety but of course nobody carries guns in England not even the police. we do not have a constitution or 2nd amendment that states we can. we have laws that say we can't. no wonder we do not have the crime rate the u s has
PhilRussell Oct 16, 2015
James you're talking out of your nonsense mate. Try walking around Peckham, Bixton, Edmonton, Hackney & Tottenham and then tell me London is safe. And you say nobody carries guns in England?? A police officer was shot in London yesterday by a gang member. The police officer was also carrying a firearm so not sure where you get your information from re: they don't carry weapons because they do!

I personally felt a lot safer in NY than i did in London!
JamesK2 Oct 16, 2015
I am not saying we have a crime free country but I would feel a lot safer walking in brixton than harlem . the areas you mentioned all have a large black population & while I am not racist it is common knowledge black people commit more crime than whites .my argument is the u k has a very small crime rate compared to the u s a .ride the London tube at night & you are safe .try the new York subway late at night & see what happens .I now live in Sydney .been here fifteen years . & been back to the u k three times .I lived in Peckham for ten years & felt safe even in the areas you mentioned .you say you are safer in new York? try the subway late at night or harlem or the Bronx.i have been to the u s & there are areas in new York Detroit & Chicago I would never venture in to . I have English friends who were mugged in new York & said they would never go back .as far as know most bobbies still do not carry guns unless the law has been changed since I have been gone
DebzD Dec 27, 2015
Please ignore the comments of the idiot above with his racist and out of date comments, he's living in Australia for goodness sake! From my experience, having lived in London and Paris and visited NYC and Tokyo on a regular basis, all cities have their 'danger spots', usually places where people hang around on streets and where gangs and drugs etc get their hold. These are 'no-go' areas in any city and are usually residential and so not a danger to tourists. Also common sense plays the same role - never go down dark alleys, parks at night, dark deserted streets, empty train carriages at night etc. Apart from that, danger can appear anywhere and at any time - looking at someone the 'wrong way'', showing too much 'bling' in crowded areas. This is the same in any city. I've always found it helps to follow basic common sense rules and always plan where you are going. Some police in the UK DO carry guns although only on certain occasions such as gun crime, big events where such protection is needed and also nowadays at airports etc for obvious security reasons. Crime is not always gun-related. We've all got access to kitchen knives, right??? Common sense, guys!
SimonH2 Apr 03, 2016
I had a scary moment on the east side of broadway and 100th street walking to a music lesson. A drug gang came up to me and threatened to hit my violin. I think this is because there are housing projects right near there. Also homeless shelters etc. It was about 4:20 PM
MarioM Apr 10, 2016
want to know whats the spookiest and baddest if you got the balls Try to go to hunts point in the bronx 1 am all hookers pimps drug addicts in the streets grafitti everywhere people walkaround with the faces all melted - you go there youll hear count dracula laughing or gargamell from the smurfs all this post is all twinkle toes compared to this even go to 1 ave and 24 street brooklyn - anyway forget the neiborhood find out what street in the five boroughs and what crazy building to go to .
JamesK2 Apr 10, 2016
DebzD I am not a racist & my comments are not out of date .what I am saying is London is far safer than new York .the crime statistics prove that of course London has crime but not like new York but I agree with you when you say it is best to avoid certain areas I would feel much safer in swiss cottage than brixton .
DavidY1 Apr 30, 2016
Just a quick up date for JamesK2. Yes you are out of date. Whilst obviously NY has a higher crime rate than a city such as Liverpool, 2 murders in 20 years? Not entirely sure what Liverpool you must be talking about. Crime statistics for Liverpool for 2014 from Merseyside police. 97 350 reported crimes of which 21 were homicides.
Living in Liverpool myself I already know of at least 4 murders in the city so far this year, unlike your statement that crimes are race related these have primarily been drugs gang relted. Check your facts before making misleading statements
GazS May 06, 2016
I'm a cop worked in the 67 pct in impact (operation that used to be handed out to all rookies out of the academy) our impact zone was the border of brownsville/east flatbush basically 'gang land' of the five boroughs, our precinct was in the lead in shootings that last year I was still there, mainly from the impact zone rockaway in the East 90's where kings highway meets brownsville, the time I was there Ive seen more dead bodies and heard more gun shots than most officers in my current comand.
JamesK2 May 08, 2016
to davidyi .the years I mean are from 1970 to 1990 .there were two recorded murders to my knowledge since then I do not know
JamesK2 May 08, 2016
to gazS you are a cop in new York what do you expect .go for a holiday in England & go on patrol with a London bobby & see the difference
JamesK2 May 08, 2016
another comment gazS .some people using this column have implied nyc is safer than London I think your comment proves the opposite
JamesK2 May 22, 2016
elise .come & live here in oz .you are safe everywhere .
JamesK2 May 22, 2016
elise .the worst crime here is graffiti .it is worse than nyc .four & a half million people here in Sydney & that is the worst crime criminals here would rather deface property than people .
AngieM1 May 27, 2016
Gaz5 I'm not rom nyc but I have traveled there a few times.. Want to say thanks for you keeping the streets safe for me to travel to the most wonderful city in the world
JamesK2 May 27, 2016
yes angie new York is a wonderful city & I feel sorry for gaz5 .imagine London police having to put up with what he has to. they would leave the force in droves .
CraigHindeC May 30, 2016
Sorry to burst your bubble james but i grew up in Sydney so maybe a walk through greenpark and central at night or perhaps redfern ,earlwood or the riverwood estates, bankstown merrylands ect ect ect you need to get out more.
Seriously im traveling to NY soon and most of my mates reckon people usually cross the street to avoid me so common sense and a clear understanding of where I'm going should be enough same as we should do everywere
JamesK2 May 30, 2016
i live in merrylands & I am quite safe here .as for redfern the place is full of beggars not muggers I also visit earlwood & green park in my job & the only thing I have to worry about there are the speed cameras .you say you are going to new York so as you say a clear understanding of where you go is needed
AlaniaG Jul 13, 2016
I live in New Orleans and i 'm going to NY for college and don't know what to do about NY because I don't know which part to avoid or which college to avoid
JamesK2 Jul 14, 2016
take a taxi
AlaniaG Jul 14, 2016
How? I haven't took a taxi for along time I only took a taxi once and I forgot how to literally
JamesK2 Jul 14, 2016
in new York they are yellow
AlaniaG Jul 15, 2016
I know that they are yellow do here also in new Orleans but how do I take a taxi (get a ride)
JamesK2 Jul 15, 2016
if you cant get a taxi take take the subway but not late at night
AlaniaG Jul 15, 2016
O good to know I never knew there where subways
JamesK2 Jul 15, 2016
nyc has everything
AlaniaG Jul 15, 2016
O wow lucky new Orleans is dangerous everywhere I went outside one day to get in my mother's truck and there was a tented window van outside my house and the van was still on
So I went back in the house as soon as the man came out I could see his face
AlaniaG Jul 16, 2016
One time I was looking for my dog and I walked one every street and everywhere I went this creepy red pick-up truck followed me with tended windows and it was dark and he didn't turn his headlights on and followed me on every street
JamesK2 Jul 16, 2016
you mean tinted
AlaniaG Jul 16, 2016
Yes and the only safe place is your home where I live but not really for me my home is not safe for me
JamesK2 Jul 17, 2016
go and live in a hotel then
EricD Jul 18, 2016
JamesK2 you're a liar, everyone in England knows that areas like Brixton and Peckham are quite dangerous.
JamesK2 Jul 18, 2016
ericD I have not lived in Peckham for 15 years I do not know what it is like now apart from having about two pubs left open .as a matter of interest where do you live ?
CollM Aug 16, 2016
Jamesk2 dude nobody cares, it's a forum about NY. You've been commenting back bickering with people over the span of a year, give it up.
RG1 Aug 22, 2016
40 year old white guy from NY. Went to Fordham U (Bronx), lived in Bensonhurst(Brooklyn), Rego Park/Forest Hills(Queens), worked in Manhattan (10 different locations) since 1999 (17 years). I know everything about every borough but Staten Island...which nobody visits anyways. PLACES I WOULD FEAR FOR MY LIFE IN DAYTIME: BROOKLYN - Brownsville, East New York, Bushwick, BRONX - South Bronx, and many pockets in many neighborhoods. QUEENS - Jamaica at night. ( Queens is my favorite borough with the gem being Forest Hills. MANHATTAN - East Harlem, many pockets north of Central Park to GW Bridge. Lower East Side by FDR is sketchy at night. However as of 2016 the rule for midtown MANHATTAN is anywhere East of 8th Ave. At night in midtown it gets sketchy between Penn and Times Square and between Penn and 23rd Street. Lots of daytime drug dealers and shady people on Broadway at all time between 24-32 st
RG1 Aug 22, 2016
To add....I have lived and worked in NYC my entire 40 years. I have never ever gotten mugged, robbed, or felt truly scared by a situation or place outside of having 2 planes slam into buildings directly above my head and had anthrax delivered to our mail room where we were quarantined for 5 hours. I love NY. I feel super safe because I know my surroundings, I never look strangers on the street or subway in the eye, I wear ear buds even when I'm not listening to music to ignore the heroine addictS which have unfortunately plagued the city. To be honest the only part of the city I worry about is Penn Station and when my train is under the East River, because we know it's just a matter of time before we here those 2 most feared words in a crowded place.... Allah Akbur. Unfortunately terrorism is the only fear these days in NYC
JamesK2 Aug 22, 2016
rgi you are a sensible guy .you know the areas to avoid & what times .the trouble is strangers or tourists don't
Chris Ameigh Sep 15, 2016
https://maps.nyc.gov/crime/ here is the crime rate map. Pretty self explanatory.
chriso1 3 days ago
Bronx, Harlem, Brooklyn....Pffft.
Any of you guys been up King Street, Wigan on a Saturday night?