Boulder has a "weird" reputation, do you think this would prohibit you personally from living there?

The opinions expressed here are those of the individual and not those of StreetAdvisor.
16 people following
this question

14 Answers

Malia Maunakea PRO Oct 02, 2012
Having lived in Boulder for 7 years prior to moving to Louisville, I think it is fantastic and, like everything else in life, had a time and a place. For me, it was a wonderful place to live during college, while being single, and then in the early stages of being married while I was really able to experience everything Boulder had to offer (the night life was fun, the hiking and outdoors were great, fantastic restaurants and places to visit). Since having kids, Louisville has suited my new "family-centric" lifestyle a bit more.
4 votes
Jenny Lampert Nov 30, 2012
I was raised in Boulder, attended the South Boulder-fed schools, and continue to work here, and it's a great place to 'be'. While some describe Boulder as eclectic, I would use 'unique' and 'diverse', as it's very obvious that this fantastic city and everything it has to offer suit the population, and its guests, very well.
3 votes
HeatherS
HeatherS I love Boulder too I love your answer, it is a great and interesting town to live, visit or work in
Chris & Erin Ratay PRO Sep 28, 2012
We transplanted from New York City -- we were happy there but found the diversity of Boulder very appealing. Like many of our friends who have transplanted from around the country, we embrace the weirdness, and even flaunt it by telling people we live in "the Republic of Boulder".
3 votes
BroncoFan
BroncoFan I had to laugh at t your "Republic of Boulder." That is just SO appropriate for Boulder.
Sep 29, 2012
Jason Mahoney Oct 05, 2012
Boulder is not for me. I want seclution in a rural setting.
Cheryl Pribble PRO Oct 02, 2012
Personally, I would love to live in Boulder. The diversity, great restaurants, good music, trails, and beauty are enthralling. I just think it is a little pricey to live there.
Greg Smith PRO Sep 28, 2012
My wife is very Democratic and I tend to be Republican, but we both love Boulder and the variety of people here. Boulder is like a great soup the more variety in the spices the better.
BroncoFan Sep 28, 2012
Me no, my husband yes. Boulder-ites drive him crazy but I'm too laid back to be bothered by much. I think it's kind of fun to people watch up there.
Eva Marie May 31, 2013
My husband and I moved to Boulder from the DC area. We thrive in the environment of healthy living and an authentic community. What was once a very "granola" town has become a sophisticated and hip locale while retaining its sense of fun and welcoming nature. We moved here and never looked back!
Reed Peuser PRO May 29, 2013
I have lived in Colorado for most of my life and have traveled extensively throughout the state. Boulder definitely has the reputation of being quite diverse and eclectic. This could be a turnoff for some however, I think the majority of visitors fall in love with the easy going people and diverse activities that Boulder has to offer. Whether you like to mountain bike, visit historical sites or even LARP (live action role play), Boulder has something to offer. PS I actually saw a group of kids LARPING at Chautauqua Park just yesterday. What a kick to watch!
Nick Dembeck PRO Jan 16, 2013
Boulder is in its own little real estate world and inventory is very limited especially under the $500k price point. There are some rare opportunities to be had however. If you are looking to purchase a home as a rental investment you can get good bang for your buck in the "Martin Acres" neighborhood which is between Table Mesa and Highway 36. There is a good concentration of College renters and prices are lower so there is more opportunity for potential cash flow. If you are looking to "flip" a home you need to be very careful on price and remodel budget in the Boulder market. If you are looking for a great home for yourself and just want it to be within Boulder I recommend South Boulder in the 3 neighborhoods surrounding Broadway and Table Mesa or East Boulder around Foothills PKWY or venturing a bit further North closer to the Diagonal. Great question, and a very loaded answer.
HeatherS
HeatherS Its funny that so many replied to this questions, from surveying the answers just now it seems that Boulder has gotten the thumbs up:) I do loving in Boulder and when I need a break I go west up into the hills for a bit and refresh form the bustle of Boulder. I do wish I could afford a normal little home but I understand that Boulder is unique and that is why it is so expensive. Demand is high!
RickLesquier Dec 12, 2012
Yes, Although Boulder is a great town the political scene is way too liberal for me. They also have way too many rules and regulations on ridiculous stuff. Hey Boulder people really can think for themselves!
HeatherS
HeatherS I agree about the rules and regulations, its seems there are too many cooks in the kitchen! But its a great kitchen:)
Mary Beth Bonacci PRO Dec 07, 2012
No, but the housing prices might! Boulder is nestled into a beautiful setting right up against the mountains, it has a small town feel and a lot of interesting architecture. Which makes it a desirable place to live, and the housing costs reflect that. Boulder has some of the highest per square foot prices in the metro area. But it's well worth it to the people who live there!
Careywolf86 Dec 05, 2012
As a Colorado Native for 26 years I can say that people either love or hate Boulder. While the lifestyle there isn't for everyone, It does largely appeal to those who enjoy supporting small business and everything the outdoors in Colorado has to offer. While it is a college town in every meaning of the phrase, the town still manages to attract young and mature residents, of every lifestyle and background. Boulder residents also pride themselves on forward thinkers and innovators of green energy.
Heidi Schaffnit PRO Nov 29, 2012
We visit Boulder quite often, mostly we are on campus at the University of Colorado, but we often go up just for an afternoon and stay off-campus. I think Boulder gets a "bad rap" from many who do not understand the culture. Boulder is very laid-back and many are more into their health. People are very friendly and seem to be open-minded. It is a melting pot as there are many people who have come in from other states. It is a highly educated city and is absolutely gorgeous, not to mention the campus has a lot of character and is just beautiful. The culture would defnitely not prevent me from living there.

Your answer