Great NYC Pick-Up Spots

There are many places where one can go for a great time and to even make out with your significant other. One such place is Central Park near the fountain. Some women have commented that they were picked up by men, and vice-versa.

Next time you are near the area, check it out. Anyone else know of pick-up spots in NYC?
The opinions expressed here are those of the individual and not those of StreetAdvisor.
6 people following
this discussion

23 Comments

uptowngirl 2yrs+
Need to do a poll of all my single friends in the city to come with an answer to this hhusted.
The Strand Bookstore - definitely. "What are you reading?" is the NYC hipster equivalent to "How YOU doin'?"
uptowngirl 2yrs+
Really?? ajadedidealist that's so funny...
BroadwayBK 2yrs+
Do hipsters even leave Williamsburg anymore? It seems like the young people that hang out in the Strand are usually NYU types. I once saw a drama student-type accosting fellow customers with questions about books in an obvious and desperate attempt to strike up conversation, but it was more off-putting than anything else. Especially when she showed a real interest in The Fountainhead. Can't say that I've ever been hit on/ seen a love connection at the Strand... and I go there often.

Union Pool is the main hipster meat market that I know of (484 Union Avenue). This generation seems to favor hookups over old school dating, and hipsters are the ultimate example of that. Hookups seem to more often than not proceed any actual dating that may occur....
hhusted 2yrs+
Interesting comments. I guess you can find pick-up spots wherever you go, or make up one yourself.
Uraniumfish 2yrs+
I got somewhat picked up at Strand, in the sense that I was looking for a specific book, had to maneuver around a guy standing in exactly that section. Didn't find the book, but obviously neither did he, because 30 minutes later we were both standing in the equivalent section of the Barnes and Noble at Union Square, laughing about having to maneuver around each other to get to the books we each wanted. It was charming enough for a coffee at the B&N coffee section at least.
uptowngirl 2yrs+
@uraniumfish awww that's such a sweet story !
@BroadwayBK - I'd argue for NYU students as a specific brand of hipster - not quite independent enough for life on their on in Williamsburg - but definitely headed down that road. And uraniumfish, that's ADORABLE. I've had plenty of Strand Encounters, although alas, no lasting romance resulted.
BroadwayBK 2yrs+
@ajadedidealist I would argue that NYU students are their own type.
hhusted 2yrs+
Ajadedidealist, those times of romance will come. Wait till spring. Remember the old saying to be careful what you wish for. When spring comes, you may just find out how lucky in romance you may get.
Uraniumfish 2yrs+
Yeah, it was a charming afternoon, but no lasting romance ensued either.

@ajadeidealist Oh and I'd side with BroadwayBK on this one, NYU students don't really make it to pre-hipster status but are just their own distinct species.
hhusted 2yrs+
I find when going to different places in the city, that people are basically into themselves and their own space, unless someone is truly looking for love or looking to make connections with someone.
JenMac 2yrs+
What?! I am constantly at the Strand and have never been approached. My poor, poor self esteem. I feel like the biggest pickup place is Freemans. That place is like a meat market.
BroadwayBK 2yrs+
Freeman's in the LES? That place looks so swank.
Uraniumfish 2yrs+
@JenMac I wouldn't say I was approached so much as we got in each other's way.
hhusted 2yrs+
Well, a friend of mine told me his friend found a date just by going to the park and walking his dog. His dog went after another dog, whose owner was a woman, and they ended up striking a conversation. Before they knew it, he asked her out and she accepted. So meeting someone can happen.
BroadwayBK 2yrs+
Yeah, during my dog sitting days I found that people in New York are much more likely to talk to you if you are with a dog.
uptowngirl 2yrs+
@BroadwayBK what are you waiting for woman? offer to walk a neighbor's/friend's dog will you? Not only will you earn their gratitude and perhaps you will land a pooch-loving hottie soon..
JenMac 2yrs+
Freemans isn't super swanky. It's kind of a hipster enclave. But, I have yet to meet one person who didn't love that place. I met someone that I dated there.
BroadwayBK 2yrs+
@uptowngirl I don't know anyone around here with a dog anymore! Maybe I should just get one, perhaps it will not only attract me a mate but scare away the mice as well? Or does that only work with cats.

@JenMac I assumed it was a hipster enclave... I guess I just link the description "meat market" in my mind with scuzzier places :)
uptowngirl 2yrs+
@BroadwayBK I seem to remember a friend's dog who used to kill mice can't recall the breed though.. just saw a documentary on the King Charles Spaniel.. they are so adorable.. I waaant one...
Uraniumfish 2yrs+
@BroadwayBK Ha, I guess meat markets can run the gamut from scuzz to swank. There seem to be a lot of hotel/loungey type places on Park Avenue South, starting near Union Square and on up to the low twenties. They all look like upper end establishments that cater to rich intern types looking to snag a mate. Not my scene, but I would say those are serious meat markets.
Uraniumfish 2yrs+
@BroadwayBK But do you want a Boy with a Dog? Because if you go the way of the dog as far as chatting people up, you will then inevitably attract only BWD's (Boys With Dogs).