BCoughlin

• Gym & Fitness 5/5
  • Medical Facilities 5/5
Apr 07, 2014
Oct 29, 2010

"How can you not write about Michigan Ave?"

It's a pretty obvious street to review, but honestly, it's one of, if not the most famous and popular, streets in Chicago. Of course, no one is going to mention this street without mentioning the great dining and shopping destinations. The Magnificent Mile is one of those areas that people never forget about.

My only complaint is that it's so upscale. A little to rich for me. I like to visit here though. I don't really spend any money, since I can usually get similar stuff somewhere else for about one tenth the price, but the experience is a must. I'd recommend visiting for anyone coming to Chicago, but really, why recommend it when everyone will visit anyways?
Oct 25, 2010

"The Windy City, the best city"

I've grown up outside Chicago, and have loved the city my whole life. I like going downtown to Greek Town and eating at the Parthenon, which is one of the best restaurants in my opinion. Taking in a ball game either at Wrigley or Cellular One Field (I prefer the Cubs) is great fun also.

I always used to watch Ferris Bueller's Day Off growing up and it's one of my favorite movies because it's a love letter to the city. It really showed off so much of what makes Chicago great. The city has a magic all to itself. I've been to other cities and really liked them, but Chicago is my city, and it's just great to be here. The latest two Batman films were shot here, and for good reason, as the filmmakers knew that there is a distinct architectural design to so many of the buildings, and a beautiful character that you don't get in New York or Los Angeles.

And one interesting fact for those not in the know. Chicago is not called the Windy City because of wind. When the World's Fair came to Chicago over 100 years ago, their marketing and advertising was so aggressive that other cities resented the boasting of Chicagoans, and they said they were full of wind, making Chicago the 'Windy City.'

It is a great town, and certainly has more to offer than any other midwest city.
  • Lack of Traffic 1/5
Oct 18, 2010

"More than the airport"

Obviously, the first thing to mention when discussing the neighborhood of O'hare is the airport, which is of course the largest airport in the city, and one of the bigger airports in the US. The neighborhood is about 14 miles northwest of the loop, so it is a bit far away from the main action of the city, but the airport really helps make the area prosper.

Of course, public transportation in the area is great, and if you're a frequent business or pleasure traveler, having close access to the airport is a huge plus. I do feel it could get a bit noisy though, so be wary of that.

It's also close to a lot of businesses, which have located their headquarters so close to the airport. So for business reasons, there's a lot to come by for.

Residences in the area are, in my experience, pretty nice and the area seems safe. Again, the noise may be a problem, and the traffic can get really congested, so it's worth mentioning, and certainly detracts from the neighborhood's appeal.

Nearby is the Rosemont horizon, or Allstate arena, where a lot of concerts and sporting events are held. Though I don't think it's actually in the neighborhood (it may be) it's still close enough that those living here wouldn't have to travel far to get there.
Oct 15, 2010

"Little to do, little to say"

I'm not the biggest fan of South Deering.I've been in the neighborhood a few times, and I can't say I have a reason to come back. I wouldn't call it particularly safe, but it isn't the worst place in the city.

Because of the few places to eat, shop, or get a drink, the home prices are pretty low. I guess that would be the biggest plus for the neighborhood. I'm not going to give it much more time than this. Not a lot to do, not a lot to say.
Pros
  • Affordable
  • It's kinda slow, no traffic
  • Reasonably quiet
Cons
  • Boring
  • Not very safe
  • No tourist attractions
Oct 08, 2010

"Meh, not so much to entertain"

I have a hard time talking about Northwood Park. It isn't a bad neighborhood, but it's just a little boring to me. I will say it seems safe. I've never felt the least bit threatened on any of the streets, but I've only been here a few times, so maybe there are worse times than when I was there.

As far as eating out or getting a drink, forget it. There isn't a single place worth mentioning. There are a few fast food places, but those are essentially everywhere. I don't remember anywhere to get a drink, let alone try to meet someone.

Shopping is similarly nonexistent. There are some shopping centers in nearby neighborhoods, but nothing actually in Northwood Park.

I feel like I should give the neighborhood 3 stars because it is safe, but I feel that's too kind to such a quiet neighborhood.
Oct 04, 2010

"Has some potential for growth."

Greater Grand Crossing is an affordable neighborhood with some potential, especially over the last few years since the Gary Corner Youth Center was opened. Mr. Corner was a successful businessman who passed away a few years ago, but the Youth Center he built late in life has given the youth in the area a great opportunity to explore creative activities in a safe environment.

The unfortunate aspect of Greater Grand Crossing is that it isn't the safest neighborhood, and there isn't as much to look for in the neighborhood. I don't love the area, but after the Youth Center opened, I think it will continue to improve.

Home prices and rentals are pretty reasonable, and while I wouldn't call it the safest place, it also isn't by any means terribly dangerous. For food, most places are low key, and I only remember eateries in the area being Bar-b-ques, so it's good for that style of food, but there's nothing of particular note here. Certainly no upscale restaurants or dining destinations.

One last thing to mention is Lee's Unleaded Blues. I'm a big blues fan myself, and while the best for me will always be Buddy Guy's Legends, Lee's is a cool place to listen to some good blues and jazz.

So while I'm not giving a huge recommendation to Greater Grand Crossing, there are some things worth visiting for, and I think there will be some continued improvements in the next few years.
Pros
  • Good food, but no real fine dining options
  • Nice people
  • It seems to be up and coming
Cons
  • Not very safe
  • Not a lot to do
  • Not terribly memorable
Oct 01, 2010

"Good entertainment"

The main thing that comes to mind when I think about Uptown is the Aragon Ballroom. It is a legendary venue that has hosted a number of great musical acts throughout the years. Definitely a tourist destination, but then so is the rest of Uptown, which is known for having had so many gangsters in the past.

Today, it's more of a tourist destination, and it's pretty safe. Police patrol the area fairly regularly, and I feel safe walking around here. The only problem times would come on nights with a big show and there are a lot of people walking around in too excited a mood. I wouldn't say you're unsafe at these times, but it's certainly something to keep in mind.

Overall, I don't know that I'd want to live here, as it seems noisy and there's too much in terms of visitors, but I would definitely continue to visit. It's a great place to have some fun.
Pros
  • Great for music lovers
  • Great atmosphere
  • Fun place to be
Cons
  • A bit touristy
  • Loud
  • Expensive
  • Nightlife 3/5
Sep 20, 2010

"If it were only closer."

I've been through Jeffery Manor a few times now, and I've always been surprised at how much I like it, especially as there isn't as much there as I would normally like.

I will say I saw a fair number of places to shop, although they mostly seemed pretty standard. I had a friend who lived there who loved the local Gamestop, but that's a very common chain found most places. Still, it's nice to have that, especially if you live there, but it doesn't give you much reason to visit.

The biggest downfall for Jeffery Manor is that it's pretty far south. It almost didn't feel like I was still in a part of the city. I don't really mind that, but I'm not used to going so far south. I'm more north west than south, so I don't get to Jeffery Manor or even many of the surrounding neighborhoods that much, but that's just because it's so far.
Pros
  • Reasonable house prices
  • Very friendly
  • Safe
Cons
  • Too far south
  • Not the cleanest neighborhood
  • Unimpressive
  • Schools 5/5
Sep 14, 2010

"One of the best!!"

Obviously, the first thing to mention about Hyde Park is the University of Chicago, which is in the neighborhood. Being a 25 year old guy, I love stopping by as there are a number of people my age there, and some of my best friends in the city attend the school or live in Hyde Park. As the University is there, there are a number of college friendly places to eat, get a cup of coffee, or go shopping, but there are also some other cool things to see in Hyde Park.

I've been by the Museum of Science and Industry a few times, only once recently, but I also went when I was younger. I have to admit I enjoyed it more when I was younger, although I have a different appreciation for it now.

Overall, I find Hyde Park to be a great neighborhood. I know another reviewer said there were some crime problems, but I've never found that to be the case, and the area is, in my opinion, nicer today than in the past, so if there were problems once, it isn't so much the case anymore. That's not to say crime is non existent, but I wouldn't call it a problem area. Housing is generally affordable, but there are some nicer places that are more expensive. The nice thing is that most of the places to eat offer a lot of good food for a reasonable price. Definitely one of my favorite neighborhoods.
Sep 07, 2010

"More good, than bad or ugly"

I've stopped by Hermosa handful of times, and I've always had a good time here. Thing is, there isn't all that much to do. I've had dinner here a few times, but for the life of me I can't remember the name of the restaurant. In a lot of ways, that sort of sums up the neighborhood. It's nice, I've enjoyed it, but it's overall unmemorable.

The times I've visited Hermosa I've felt safe, although I don't think I would suggest any women go for walks alone at night. I don't normally suggest that anywhere in the city, but Hermosa is a bit less safe than some nicer areas. I'm not calling it truly unsafe, and it's a lot better than other parts of Chicago, but it's still not the best.

Overall, if you have a limited budget, then I think Hermosa would be good for you. Not a travel destination, and you'll have to travel a bit yourself if you're looking for a party, but it's still pretty decent.
Pros
  • Fun neighborhood with good people
  • Quiet
  • Family area
  • Lots of parks
  • Affordable
Cons
  • Not a lot to do
  • Somewhat unmemorable
  • Not really for young adults
Sep 06, 2010

"Meh..."

I'm not the biggest fan of Hegewisch. I've been through the area a few times, and I've never seen hardly a thing worth stopping for. The dining options available looked at best below average, and the overall atmosphere was, for me, somewhat depressing.

I've never heard of it being that dangerous, but I know some of the nearby areas are, to say the least, unsafe, and that type of thing tends to have a large area effect. I've never had a problem myself, but that's because I wouldn't feel safe walking alone at night, and have chosen to never do so. Perhaps one day I'll have a horror story to tell, and can rank Hegewisch with just one star instead of a generous two.

The home prices are low, which is something, but really, you get what you pay for.
Pros
  • Affordable
  • It has been pretty quiet the times I've been there
  • Not as dirty as you'd expect such a dangerous area
Cons
  • Scary
  • Not safe
  • Not a lot to do or see, boring nightlife and dining
1/5 rating details
Sep 02, 2010

"Not recommended"

I will not be recommending Gresham for anyone to be living in any time soon. For those of you who like the area (I have no idea who you could be) I'm sorry, but it isn't the safest part of the city. I don't know the crime statistics off the top of my head, but I have no doubt it's higher than average. That alone is enough to avoid the neighborhood.

One other reason to avoid Gresham is that there isn't much to see. I can't think of many reasons people would have for visiting. The lack of good stores and restaurants immediately put it at the bottom of my list of neighborhoods.

I'm not entirely sure that Gresham is the most dangerous part of the city, and there are certainly areas with a worse reputation, but I wouldn't feel terribly comfortable here even during the day. With Superman walking next to me
Pros
  • It's really affordable
  • Gresham helps you appreciate other neighborhoods
Cons
  • Not safe
  • No nightlife
  • Nothing to do but be scared
Aug 31, 2010

"Not the best part of town..."

Unfortunately, Grand Boulevard is not one of the nicer parts of Chicago. I've only been through the neighborhood a few times, but I've never found it to be safe or to have much to offer. Many of the buildings are vacant, and many lots are just empty. It could really use some revitalization.

The best thing I can come up with to say about Grand Boulevard would be the low cost of living, but that's only because of the poor quality of the area. I hate to be so down on any area, but I've mostly avoided Grand Boulevard because it isn't that safe.
Aug 30, 2010

"Good beer, cool place to be"

Goose Island is one of my favorite Chicago Neighborhoods. I'm not a big beer drinker personally, but I love pubs and pub food, which you will find in abundance here.

Obviously, there is a fair amount to drink here, but it also has some of the nicer homes in Chicago. I guess some people think it's isolated from the rest of the city because of the river, but not really. Still, the homes and condos here are spectacularly nice, and while not exactly affordable, if you have the means, you should definitely give it a look.

Probably one of the more attractive things about Goose Island is it's relative proximity to so much that's going on in the city. It's right nearby the Loop, as well as Wicker Park and the Ukrainian Village. Those are a few of my other favorite parts of the city, so it's nice to have such a good overall area.
Pros
  • Great atmosphere and spirit
  • Good nightlife
  • Safe
Cons
  • A bit loud
  • Small neighborhood with a bit highway through the middle
  • expensive
Aug 27, 2010

"Noisy and boring, but safe enough"

I can't claim to have an overwhelming amount of experience in Garfield Ridge. I've been through a handful of times, and each time I visited I did notice that it was a nice enough area, and didn't seem dangerous or unwelcoming.

There are a handful of places to eat and shop, but nothing extraordinary. I wouldn't avoid the area, but it doesn't have a lot to offer someone just looking for a visit.

The main thing to note about Garfield Park is how close it is to Midway airport. This can be a blessing or a curse. If you go on a lot of business trips or just like to get out of town from time to time, the proximity to the airport will likely be a big bonus if you live here. On the flip side, it can get noisy. I was here a while back, and it seemed like there was constant noise from airplanes going overhead. I wouldn't recommend it if you're looking for peace and quiet.
Pros
  • Pretty safe
  • Mostly quiet, but you are close to the airport, so it can get loud
  • Welcoming
Cons
  • Not a lot of outdoor options
  • Slow nightlife
Aug 23, 2010

"What A Park!"

I have only a little experience with Garfield Park, but what I have experienced makes it one of my favorite neighborhoods. It's interesting, as I can see some of the negatives, with the lower economic classes in the area and what I think is above average crime (not too dangerous though) but at the same time when I think of Garfield Park, I think of beauty.

Of course, the main attraction is Garfield Park itself. It's a rather large park/conservatory, with a great deal to see every year, with new attractions put in place to keep people coming back. I can't claim to know a great deal about flora or fauna, and while I've done some minor landscaping for my parents, it's nothing that would help make me an expert. Still, there is splendor to behold in Garfield Park. The plant life is of course first on the list, but the overall style and structure of the park dazzles most who come here. I've been to France, seen Versailles (and no, this doesn't compare) but it is still so beautiful. It took me back to some of the beauty I've experienced in my life. It opens you up to something new. There are few places in Chicago quite like it.

I realize that the park contrasts somewhat severely with the rest of the neighborhood, as it does not share the beauty of the park, but the park elevates the area so well that I rank it above average, even if there isn't much else worth noting about Garfield Park.
Aug 19, 2010

"Quiet, and a bit boring"

Galewood is one of the furthest neighborhoods from downtown, and there isn't a whole lot here that makes it part of the city. Honestly, it's more suburb than city. That isn't the end of the world, but it makes for a less than exciting area.

Home prices aren't terrible, but it isn't as affordable as other parts of the city. Fortunately, it's a fairly safe part of the city, and while I haven't spent a whole lot of time here, I would feel perfectly comfortable doing so if there were more going on.

That's the big problem with Galewood. There just isn't all that much to come for. People don't often go visiting suburbs like they do cities. I can't think of any nightlife that anyone would want to come visiting for, and I don't see the restaurants, which are solid if unremarkable, being much of a draw either.

Overall, it's just a decent neighborhood that's a bit too quiet for my tastes.
Pros
  • Safe
  • Quiet
  • Good spirit, good for families
Cons
  • Not much going on
  • Too slow for my tastes
  • A bit expensive
1/5 rating details
  • Neighborly Spirit 1/5
  • Clean & Green 1/5
  • Internet Access 2/5
  • Resale or Rental Value 1/5
  • Schools 1/5
  • Childcare 1/5
Aug 16, 2010

"One of the most dangerous parts of the city"

Englewood is, unfortunately, one of the worst neighborhoods in the city. I can honestly say that I would avoid even driving through the neighborhood with a police escort.

I don't know the exact crime statistics, but I can say with confidence that you would be taking your life into your hands if you choose to visit.

Living here would be terribly dangerous. I realize the cost of living is pretty low, but it's like choosing to buy milk that's expired. Sure, it might still be good, but more than likely you'll be sorry.

There are no landmarks worth visiting. I can't see a tourist stopping by, unless they want to be mugged or shot in Chicago. Sorry, nothing good to say about Englewood. I've seen enough. I don't see improvements happening anytime soon. Steer clear.
Pros
  • No improvements on the horizon
Cons
  • Dangerous
  • Nightlife 3/5
Aug 10, 2010

"Nice and safe, and close enough to down town."

Dunning has a great atmosphere and is one of the safer neighborhoods in the city. It makes for an excellent place to live for people with a lot of different economic backgrounds to live.

There is some excellent food, and while there aren't the famous restaurants that you might find in other places. Of course, you'll find pizza (this is Chicago) and many of the other options are your basic but good Midwest style American cuisine.

I wouldn't come for the nightlife, as there isn't so much for a younger guy like me, but you can find a drink if you've had a long day.

The main thing I think of is the safety and good neighborhood atmosphere. You can get to know your neighbors and go for a walk without being afraid. It's nice to have that in the city, and it isn't like you're particularly far from downtown.
Pros
  • Great neighborhood spirit
  • Lots to do
  • Quiet
  • Good, affordably priced food
  • Very safe
Cons
  • Not the best bars or nightlife
  • A bit too low key for me
  • Schools 5/5
Aug 08, 2010

"Awesome but really expensive"

If you look through many of my posts, you'll notice that I tend to prefer younger, more energetic neighborhoods. DePaul certainly ranks amongst my favorite parts of the city.

First things first. DePaul is obviously dominated by the university, so there are plenty of younger people around. It helps that they tend to be students, so I personally feel safe in the area, and while you can always have problems, it isn't very bad here at all. The young population makes eating out good for me, as many of the local restaurants can only stay in business if they cater to the college crowd. Nightlife is also very good. You'll always find a good time without having to look too hard.

The one problem I have with DePaul is how expensive it is. I can't imagine how any student could afford to live here without having rich parents. I haven't looked for apartments in some of the other expensive areas of Chicago, but I have here, and it is unbelievable. I seriously doubt I'll be able to live here for the next for years at least, and that's too bad, because I'd love to.

Overall, DePaul is a great place to visit if you want to have some fun. Tough on the bank account if you're going to stay, but great for a day.
Pros
  • Lots of fun
  • Great energy
  • Safe
  • Ideal for students
Cons
  • Not for families
  • Expensive
  • Noisy
  • Peace & Quiet 1/5
Aug 06, 2010

"All the positives and negatives of close proximity to the airport."

I would describe Clearing as a decent neighborhood. It isn't great, but it isn't as bad as other nearby neighborhoods.

The first thing to mention would have to be Midway Airport. The airport really dominates the area. If you stop by Clearing you'll likely hear and see some planes going overhead, which could be really annoying if you live here. The upside is that it's a bit safer than some of the surrounding neighborhoods, and you are close to the airport if you need to travel a lot. I wish I was a more frequent flyer than I am, so if I was jet-setting a bit more I might have another look at Clearing.

Otherwise, I'd say that the neighborhood is reasonably safe, the home prices aren't half bad, and there are a fair number of local businesses that do well in part because of their proximity to the airport.
Pros
  • Close to transportation
  • Pretty safe
  • Affordable
Cons
  • Loud because of the airport
  • Not a lot of nightlife or activities for fun
  • Dirtier than average
Aug 04, 2010

"Quiet, but with nothing to do"

Canaryville is a boring residential area on the south side of the city. I can't think of anything you'd really want to visit there for, and I wouldn't suggest living there because of the lack of interest and some crime. It isn't the most dangerous part of the city, and I'd say it's mostly quiet, although the quiet makes me feel uneasy at times because you wonder if any police are even in the area.

I wouldn't visit for a park, or for dining or going out for drinks, as there is essentially nothing there worth looking into. It isn't terribly expensive, but that's because of how much it lacks.

Overall, I just don't have as much to say about Canaryville. It just doesn't interest me as much as other parts of the city.
Pros
  • Quiet
  • Affordable Housing
Cons
  • Not terribly safe
  • Not a lot of dining options
  • Not welcoming
  • Not much to do
Aug 03, 2010

"Not much besides the higher than average crimerate"

Burnside is a residential area with above average crime and few landmarks to draw attention. I'm not that familiar with the area because it isn't the type of place I would want to spend a lot of time in. I've been through there a few times, and wouldn't suggest spending much time there alone. Always have someone with you. Maybe a Green Beret, or a superhero.

The home prices are low, which is a big plus, but don't forget that it's because the neighborhood isn't exactly desirable. I think there is potential in Burnside, or at least there will be once the housing situation gets straightened out. I can see a lot of developers moving in to attempt to gentrify the area and that could make Burnside more attractive. At present, I don't recommend it. Very little in terms of nightlife or dining, and the crime is higher than you would want. Only for the most street savvy would I recommend it, and only then if you have dire financial reasons.
Pros
  • Affordable
  • It can only get better
  • Not a lot of traffic
Cons
  • Unwelcoming
  • No dining or nightlife options for the most part
  • Not safe
  • Lack of Traffic 5/5
Jul 29, 2010

"Affordable, but not that exciting"

Avalon Park is a decent neighborhood, not great, but not terrible. You can find some good food here, especially the ribs at Leon's Bar B Que. I've eaten there a few times, and always enjoyed it. It is a takeout joint, so don't be expecting to sit down there and eat, but it's great if you have a ball game on TV that night and want to pick up something good to eat.

Homes are generally affordable, and it isn't a dangerous neighborhood, although I'd say it isn't the safest place in the city either. I did notice a fair number of fences, but I'd say that's more for privacy and not for security. Overall, you can do a lot worse than Avalon Park, but a lot better as well.

One really nice thing is there's essentially no traffic, at least the time I've been in Avalon Park there were few cars on the road.
Pros
  • Affordable
  • Quiet
  • Decent dining
Cons
  • Slightly unsafe, not terrible, but not great
  • Kinda boring
Jul 26, 2010

"It has potential, but most of that potential is currently unrealized"

Lawndale has some potential as an up and coming neighborhood in Chicago. Unfortunately, it still has a ways to go before I'd call it a great neighborhood.

First thing to note in Lawndale is all the history. The area was a base of operations in Chicago for the civil rights movement in the 60's, and after Martin Luther King Jr. was killed the neighborhood was all but destroyed in the ensuing race riots. Many businesses left the area, and this is still affecting the neighborhood all these many years later. There have been some attempts to revitalize in the last 10 to 20 years, but so far it hasn't had a dramatic enough effect to make Lawndale terribly attractive to prospective buyers.

Home prices are relatively low, but there are some empty lots and a bit more crime than your average Chicago neighborhood. I wouldn't feel all that comfortable walking down the street at night.

Dining is relatively sparse as well. Most dining locales are low key. Mostly pizza and burger joints. Nightlife is also next to nothing, but I'm sure there are a few bars if you are desperate for a drink.
Travel isn't too bad, much like most of Chicago, it has good public transportation, and there's plenty of parking. The negative to the parking is that there are a number of meters. Just bring some change and you'll be fine.

Overall, the main thing I think of when I look at Lawndale is potential. If some of the attempts to revitalize take hold, the neighborhood could become a great place to live. It isn't that far from the Loop, and if you got rid of some of the empty lots and put in high quality homes, it could be nice. For them moment though, it isn't a place I visit much and wouldn't consider living there for the time being.
Pros
  • Affordable
  • Some neighborhood rebuilding has occurred
  • Residential
Cons
  • Hasn't yet realized its potential
  • Little for shopping
  • Not terribly safe
Jul 21, 2010

"A really cool, young neighborhood"

Logan Square is one of my favorite neighborhoods. I'm a young guy, so the overall atmosphere of youth and energy really appeals to me. I love going for walks down one of the Logan Square Boulevards. These Boulevards have actually become historic landmarks, and for good reason: they're beautiful. There are big homes with lots of grass and flowers in the spring and summer. It is certainly one of the more picturesque areas in the city.

I should also mention that a walk is also nice because of the safety of the neighborhood. I never feel nervous going for a walk.

I dated a bit of a foodie for a while, and she loved the Farmer's Market in Logan Square. I know it isn't exactly a dining destination, but it really offers some amazing food. There are some other really good restaurants, so you'll never go hungry.

Nightlife is also pretty good. Bars here aren't quite the loud party destinations in other areas, but there are plenty to choose from and you can have a good drink and conversation.

Homes aren't too bad in terms of price, and there are a lot of younger professionals in the area, so you can trust that you'll enjoy living here. I'd love to be able to move here at some point. Highly recommended.
Pros
  • Mostly reasonable priced housing
  • Currently home prices aren't too bad and are a good investment
  • Fun Nightlife.
Cons
  • Kinda busy
  • It can be a bit loud at times
Jul 15, 2010

"For those who like to be in the midst of it all"

One of the most expensive and sought after neighborhoods in town, the Near North Side is without question one of the biggest tourists draws in the city, as well as being one of the most fun.
I've never lived there, mainly because it is a very expensive part of the city, but I'd love to if I had the money. I don't mind noise, but if you do, it would be a place to stay away from. Something is always going on. That said, the busy nature and the fact that it's a tourist destination make it one of the safer neighborhoods. Chicago isn't going to let all those tourists go home with tales of woe after visiting the big city.
Do you want to shop? You can shop. I personally like to go to bookstores, and there are a ton of them here, as well as just about any other type of store you're looking for. Be forewarned though, these are upscale shops. It can get pretty expensive during a short shopping trip.
Restaurants are a similar story. It's fantastic if you can afford it. Morton's is one of the best steakhouses in the city. Probably in the world. You'll pay through the nose for it, but it's one of those meals that no matter how good you are in the kitchen, you can never recreate it.
There are a lot of great bars in the Near North Side too. And these tend to be the places with the prettiest girls. Of course, most of the time they're looking for guys with the biggest bank account, but you can still try your luck.
Transportation is a breeze, so no worries there. Just enjoy it. It'll cost you, but if you have means, you'll find what you need in the Near North Side.
Pros
  • Highly sought after, exclusive
  • Trendy and safe
  • Exciting, with things always happening
Cons
  • Expensive
  • Tends to be a lot of traffic
  • It can get loud
Jul 09, 2010

"Some great food and shopping, maybe a little expensive though…"

Ravenswood is definitely a nice neighborhood. I’ve been through there quite a few times, and I’ve always found it to be energetic and fun. The food and shopping is excellent although neither is the best in Chicago.
For food, my favorite is the Bistro Campagne, which is a French restaurant with really high quality. My girlfriend loves going there because they have a great selection of wine, and between you and me (and the whole world since this is the internet) the girl likes her wine. We’ve sat outside on the patio more than once and had a great time.
Speaking of patios, if you want some nightlife, check out the Long Room, which has a good sized patio made for having a few beers on a nice summer night. It’s a pretty casual place, which suits me fine, and most people seem to really appreciate the atmosphere.
Shopping is good in Ravenswood as well. As I love my dogs to no end, my favorite place to shop is the Ruff Haus Pets, which isn’t too busy, and you can get your dog groomed (I only have their nails trimmed) and buy some good healthy food. I can’t say if they like the food any better than regular Dog Chow, since they’d eat anything, but I like to think for the 5 seconds that they eat it’s a more enjoyable experience.
I haven’t lived in Ravenswood, but it seems like a fairly upscale area. I don’t think it’s the most expensive neighborhood in Chicago, but it isn’t cheap. Some of the houses look really nice, and a lot of places have nice yards. Crime is pretty low, and everything is pretty clean. I’d definitely recommend it for anyone looking to visit or stay.
Pros
  • Safe
  • Some great parks and good people to meet in them
  • Great Shopping and dining
  • Quiet
  • Great dining
Cons
  • A bit expensive
  • For all the nice options, it can be a bit dull
  • Resale or Rental Value 5/5
Jul 08, 2010

"One of the best areas of the city"

Bucktown, much like nearby Wicker Park and the Ukrainian Village, is one of my favorite neighborhoods in Chicago. Not to repeat what I said in those reviews, but the atmosphere in Bucktown is the main reason it is so amazing. Like Wicker Park, Bucktown is a fun, very young part of town. It shares a good portion of the artistic community in the city, and that excited energy permeates just about every corner of the neighborhood.

Because of the youth in the area, as well as the generally well off status of many of the residents, crime is low, and the neighborhood is friendly. There’s plenty of the modern amenities such as good cell reception and access to internet and cable TV. I’m 25, and I would never live in an area without good cell reception. My cell is my only phone. I couldn’t abide having dropped calls constantly. This makes Bucktown especially attractive to me.

Also much like Wicker Park, with which it shares a border, Bucktown is full of good bars and restaurants. There is certainly a great nightlife here. I think it could get a bit noisy during the summer if you want to sleep with your window open, but I don’t think it would be terrible.

You don’t have to worry about being far from downtown, the people are friendly, and there are a lot of places to eat, shop, or have a drink. Definitely highly recommended. I hope to someday soon be living either in Bucktown or Wicker Park, so you might even see me.
Pros
  • Really great people
  • Awesome atmosphere - Really fun
  • Good restaurants
Cons
  • It can get loud
  • I've struggled at times to find good parking
  • A little expensive
  • Internet Access 2/5
Jul 07, 2010

"Not everything comes up roses…"

Roseland is on the far South Side of Chicago, and I’d have to say that it’s on the lower end of neighborhoods in the city. There are too many boarded up houses for my tastes. There are a fair number of houses that aren’t boarded up, but really, one or two on a street make the whole row of houses look bad.
Crime is pretty high in the area, and while I don’t know that it’s the worst in Chicago, Roseland has it’s share of problems. There are some nice looking parks in the area, but you get a little closer, and start thinking about going for a walk, and you get a bad feeling.
The prices on many of the homes are very reasonable, and maybe if you want a home to clean up and make livable, it’s the area for you. There are some really cheap places to live, but then there’s a reason. I wouldn’t want to live next to a house that’s boarded up. You never know what might be in there. There could easily be something illegal going on.
There are a handful of decent places to eat, all of them being fairly casual affairs. You won’t find any of the upscale restaurants, or even great specialty places that Chicago is known for.
Nightlife is similarly sparse, without any fun bars or clubs that you’d want to have some fun at. There are some low key bars where you might be happy to be a regular just looking for a drink and to get out of the house, but I wouldn’t bring a date.
You can go shopping on Michigan Ave., and while the really good shopping is North of Roseland, there are stores to be had for those so inclined.
I mostly think of Roseland as a place where if I was driving through the neighborhood with my mom, she’d put her purse on the floor of the car just in case. I don’t think it’s that bad, but it has that affect on people.
Pros
  • Cheap
  • Some fixer uppers
  • Good casual dining
Cons
  • Dangerous
  • Boarded up homes
  • Scary place to visit
  • Public Transport 1/5
Jul 06, 2010

"A little suburban, a little urban, a little noisy"

Scottsdale is an interesting neighborhood in Chicago. On the one hand, it looks at times like the suburbs. There are a number of homes on cul-de-sacs, a number of good sidewalks that provide one of the better modes of transportation, since there are few cabs, and plenty of parking. Oddly, for all the parking, there's a lot of traffic, at least on some of the streets that border other neighborhoods.

Food

I didn't find much outside of a few chain type restaurants(like Applebee's) although I do enjoy Mattson's Steak House once in a while. It isn't one of the higher end steak joints in Chicago, but you can get a pretty decent meal there.

Retail

Shopping in the neighborhood is okay. There is the Scottsdale Shopping Center, although if I was in the area with a car, I'd go just north to the Ford City Mall, which is a lot bigger. If you lived in the area, you wouldn't be starved for a day of shopping.

Nightlife

No nightlife to speak of. I don't personally go out drinking at Applebee's. There are a few local bars, but you can find better elsewhere.
Rainey Park is halfway decent also, but again, there are better places to go for a walk or run in Chicago. I mention it if you're thinking of moving to the area. At least there would be something nearby for you to use.
Pros
  • Affordable housing
  • Decent parks
  • Nice mix of various types of neighborhoods
Cons
  • Boring, no nightlife
  • Kinda suburban
  • Lots of traffic
Jul 05, 2010

"It sure seems nice…"

South Shore is a bit of a two faced neighborhood. In some ways, it seems very nice, but at the same time, crime can be a bit of a problem and there isn’t all that much to speak of in the area.
When you walk down some of the streets, you start to think that South Shore is pretty nice. There can be a lot of trees along the sidewalks, and you would be tempted to take a nice stroll. I’ve never personally had a problem there, but I have heard a number of reports that crime is high in the area. It also doesn’t seem to be going through any big improvements either. I don’t see gentrification sweeping through the area and fixing some of the problems.
That said, it is the home (or former home) of First Lady Michelle Obama and rapper Kanye West. It is certainly possible that Mrs. Obama could make the neighborhood a pet project and help generate interest, making for some improvements. I wouldn’t rule it out, but I haven’t really heard or seen anything as of yet that would indicate it happening any time soon.
Food and shopping is relatively sparse in South Shore. I can’t say there are any special restaurants in the area, and while there’s a Starbucks and a few halfway decent places, I wouldn’t recommend it for anyone looking for a night on the town.
One bright spot in South Shore is the South Shore Community Center. There is a ton to do there, and I would definitely recommend it to a visitor of the city. As the neighborhood name implies, you can get right onto the beach, and while Lake Michigan is a really cold lake, on a warm day (as I right this it’s over 90 degrees outside) you might end up very happy jumping in the lake to cool off. There’s a golf course, lots of trails to walk on, and a lot of activities for the community to enjoy. Without question, if you were looking to live in South Shore, the Community Center is the reason to do so.
Pros
  • Very affordable
  • Great park
  • Nice for a walk, pretty area, for the most part
Cons
  • Abysmal nightlife
  • Not terribly safe
  • I don't see a lot of improvements on the horizon
Jul 01, 2010

"Youthful Spirit and a nice, clean, environment"

First, I'm 25 years old, I didn't go to school in Chicago, but my age does bias me in favor of areas with a lot of pretty girls. With a name like University Village, you might expect a school, and you'd be right. The University is a real god send for the area. The increased number of young women (besides being easy on the eyes) has forced the police to up their game. I went to school at the University of Iowa, and even out in Iowa they had to be vigilant or young women would be attacked. In the city the danger is that much greater, as a result, the police have a greater presence, which provides a much safer place to visit or live.

I've heard people talk about the gentrification in the area before, but I think that's a good thing. Yeah, there are more chain coffee shops like Starbucks around, but I like Starbucks! I'd say anything that brings more money into the area is a good thing.

The extra money has done a lot, too. Many of the buildings have, over the last few years, been renovated. Some old buildings that were looking rundown have had facelifts, both inside and out. While I'm sure the area isn't immune to the housing crisis happening right now, I'd still say if you're looking, University Village may be for you.

Transportation is exceptional, and walking around is more fun in the area. It's good to see a lot of young people. Reminds me of college. And again, pretty girls. Give it a look.
Pros
  • Youthful energy
  • Very Safe
  • Great bars and clubs
Cons
  • Not for everyone
  • It might be getting a bit commercial
  • A bit expensive, although not too bad
  • Resale or Rental Value 1/5
Jun 28, 2010

"Not exactly a tourist location..."

West Pullman is a South side neighborhood of Chicago with little going on. I've been through the area a few times, and I was never particularly impressed. I'm just going to jump right into my main bullet points for the area, because there is so little that is memorable.

Residence
The homes in West Pullman are mostly old, and many looked in need of serious renovation. I noticed a mix of houses with some yard/land area, and then homes just shoved right next to each other to save on space. I know that the average price of a home in West Pullman is reasonable, but I suspect that the resale value will also be fairly low. It isn't particularly close to the Loop, but it isn't that far either.

Transportation
Like most of Chicago, public transportation is pretty good, and the trains in particular will serve you well. I'd say it's about a half hour train ride into the Loop. Not bad, but not exactly walking distance. Parking was fairly scarce during my visits, and most homes had no garages, so their cars were on the street.

Dining/Shopping
Nothing memorable whatsoever. I actually did a Google search because I couldn't remember a single place as fair as retail shopping goes. The best available option was a Radio Shack. No one is going to West Pullman for the shopping. Dining is a similar experience, and while there are a few bars, they are pretty low key, and won't provide much of a nightlife.

I'm ranking West Pullman fairly low. The one thing I'll say for the area is that I didn't feel particularly unsafe for the lower income housing available. Usually, these areas of Chicago are a 'no go' for me, and West Pullman didn't exactly fit in with that. Of course, it ended up being a no go because there was nothing for me to visit for.
Pros
  • Really cheap housing
  • Good public transpo, so you can get away
Cons
  • Boring nightlife
  • Not terribly welcoming
  • Dirty
Jun 23, 2010

"If you're feeling Blue, The Loop is for You"

I love the Loop, and though I’ve never lived there, it is a dream location for me.

I grew up in the suburbs of Chicago, and I would get to go downtown from time to time visiting my dad, who is a lawyer who works just north of the Loop on Lasalle St. Between my freshman and sophomore year in college I worked as an assistant for my dad, and I walked through the Loop everyday, and I fell in love. The first few weeks were intimidating, with so many confident businesspeople walking past me on their daily route to work, but after only a few days I was one of them, and I got to know some of the ins and outs of the area.

First, the Loop is still mostly a business area, although there are an increasing number of residential locations that are reasonably affordable, if you’re so inclined to move there. During the business hours Monday through Friday, most streets will be busy with business traffic, although at night and on weekends it isn’t quite so populated. The completion of Millennium Park has opened the area up more to tourists, and the cultural sites bring in a more casual visitors.

And oh, the culture. The obvious first: Harold Washington Library , the Art Institute of Chicago , Chicago Architecture Foundation and the Chicago Cultural Center. If you want art and class, it’s here. There are a number of tours for the those not acquainted with the area. For me (which doesn’t mean uncultured), the best you’ll do for culture is Buddy Guy’s Legends. Buddy Guy is one of the greatest bluesmen of all time. He studied under Muddy Waters, and inspired such guitar greats as Jimi Hendrix and Eric Clapton. Clapton even calls him the world’s best blues guitarist. I visited Buddy’s old club, which just moved to a new location still in the loop, a few times, once to see Buddy play a show, and if you like live music, there is no better place in Chicago. Special guests show up from time to time, like Eric Clapton, Mick Jagger, Stevie Ray Vaughn, and others, for impromptu performances. You can get good food, of which I will personally recommend the ribs and the Blues burger, and take in a great show. Most nights the cover is only about $10 to $15, although when a special guest is performing, or during January when Buddy plays a few nights a week, entry will cost you about $40. I haven’t been to the new location yet, but I plan to go in the next few weeks, maybe around the same time that the Crossroads Guitar Festival comes to town, since special guests would be in town and might show up.

For my tastes, the Loop is outstanding. I like to going out and enjoying myself, but I like it quiet from time to time. The Loop is relatively safe, and I while some consider it dead at night, I think it’s just a matter of knowing where you want to go. There are plenty of options for travel, since the Loop refers to the train that surrounds the area, and during the day there’s so much going on that you can get a nice balance between hectic and relaxed. If you’re like me, and like a little blues with your burger and drink, the Loop is highly recommended.
Pros
  • Exciting and fast paced!
  • Pretty safe, especially during the day
  • Great for tourists
  • The heart of the city
Cons
  • Loud during the day
  • Kinda slow at night.
  • Expensive to live there
  • Busy, busy, busy

Questions