Is it safe for a single female to walk in Over-The-Rhine?

The opinions expressed here are those of the individual and not those of StreetAdvisor.
5 people following
this question

5 Answers

Michael Sweeney PRO Aug 03, 2012
My office is in Over-The-Rhine, I have been working here almost 10 years all hours of the day. I see women walking alone all the time. We have several female agents who not only work here but live in the area and have never had a problem. OTR is thriving with several new businesses, nightlife and residents. It is one of the hottest urban areas in Cincinnati. As with any area, you always want to be cautious when alone male or female. OTR rocks!
2 votes
LouiseK Nov 26, 2012
For the most part, daytime is pretty safe. I do agree with MollyM, however, you are in a safer area the closer you are to Downtown (south of Liberty). Definitely use caution no matter where you are walking, especially at night.
Natilady Aug 18, 2012
I taught day and evening classes at a Catholic ministry in OTR for 10 years and still visit the area occasionally. During the day I'll walk just about anywhere without a qualm; but the tone of the neighborhood shifts after 6:00 P. M. In a few areas. Some streets, mostly in the area between Liberty and McMicken, are more questionable than others; although I must add that the crime rates in OTR have dropped over recent years.

I've been to Music Hall, parts of Vine, Main St and other OTR venues after dark without a problem, but I walk cautiously, always aware of my surrounding...just like anywhere else in town.
mollym Aug 17, 2012
You should be aware of which area of OTR you are in. If you're more toward downtown you would be better off, but if you're closer to liberty street or north of liberty street I would absolutely not do it. During the day you should be fine, I wouldn't risk it at night.
Christine Schiefer Aug 05, 2012
I agree with Michael Sweeney--as long as you are aware of your surroundings, you should be fine. OTR is currently going through quite a revival, and I know many people who live and work down there without any problems.

Your answer