Thai vs Chinese

Will someone please explain to me why Thai food is always so much more expensive than Chinese, generally speaking?

My crappy local Thai places are at least twice as expensive as my crappy local Chinese places. WHY?!

Of course I realize that they are two completely separate national cultures, yes, but the two cuisines share a lot of ingredients and the price increase doesn't really seem so logical to me. Please, anyone, have a go at this one.
The opinions expressed here are those of the individual and not those of StreetAdvisor.
4 people following
this discussion

4 Comments

Uraniumfish Mar 13, 2010
I don't know about prices, but I love love love Thai cuisine so much more than Chinese cuisine. Thai food seems so much more delicate in its flavoring, and I'm guessing that actually costs a little money to pull off? Whereas what passes for Chinese food in many places is made of garbage, and obviously unauthentic, and likely made from the cheapest ingredients possible. Could be an explanation.
ajadedidealist Mar 13, 2010
I agree with you, @uraniumfish! I absolutely love Thai food, and I'm not crazy about Chinese. I think Chinese tends to be seen as fast food/takeaway (and thus have quality to match the price), whereas Thai is nearly always seen as "midrange" or up. Not saying the quality of the food is necessarily different when both are done well (although I probably prefer Thai), but rather that both Thai and Chinese food places by and large cater to the stereotype/expectations people have (cheap n' cheerful or more high-end)
DBlack Mar 14, 2010
I think that's pretty much right @Uraniumfish. Chinese cuisine can be incredible, but it has nothing to do with what we all know as Chinese food.
BroadwayBK Mar 14, 2010
I used to work at a Chinese place in the East Village, which has since changed its menu a lot, but it used to have the most amazing sweet and sour tofu. I've never had tofu so crispy and delicious anywhere else. I love Chinese food when it's done right, which for some reason is rare.

Anyway, I know that most Chinese food places are crap and probably get all their sauces from bottles, but why do I have a feeling that your average Thai places aren't much more advanced? I doubt that my local Thai place is whipping up its own pad thai sauce behind the scenes. Maybe the pre-packaged sauces is where the price difference comes in?

Thai food does seem like it's the healthier option...