New Yorks Famous and Historic Buildings
1. The Flatiron building aka the Fuller building: Built in 1902, the Flatiron building was considered the first skyscrappers ever built. It is also know as Burham's Folley becuase citizens originally had bets as to how far the debris would go if torn down. It is the building used as the The Daily Bugal in the Spiderman movies.
2. The Singer building: Completed in 1908 and was the headquarters for the Singer Manufacturing Company. It was later demolished in 1968 and replaced with the U.S. Steel buildings better known as the One Capital Building.
3. The Woolworth building: One of the fifty most tallest buildings in the USA and one of twenty in New York. This builings is referenced in several books including the inspired book The Bone Collector with Denzel Washington, Angelina Jolie, and Queen Latifa. In the movie one note was made about the building that ann industrialists body was recovered on the site in 1913 after he had gone missing in 1906. A very eerie bit of information.
4. The New York Stock Exchange Building: It's origins date back to May 1792 with the signing of the Buttonwood agreement by 24 stock brokers. The new building after the demolition of the old one in 1901 opened on April 22, 1903. Many events have been connected with the NYSE. the Wall Street bombing (1920), Black Thursday (1929), Abbie Hoffman's protests with the Yippie movement, and the min-crash of 1989 are just a few to name.
5. Chrysler Building: It was completed in 1930 and only held title as the world's tallest building for eleven months before the Empire State building was completed.The Bank of America Tower reigned over this buildings second tallest building in 2007.
Are there any other lesser known buildings that you may live in or near with great history?