Best Places to Shop In New York City, NY

Here’s my take on some of the best places to shop in New York City. Whether you are a local or a tourist I hope this list helps you out. Let us know each store is doing too!

1. Madison Avenue.E. 57th to E72nd Sts.The crème de la crème of NYC shopping is on the wonderful Madison Avenue with high end designers clamoring to occupy its popular storefronts, including Bergdof Goodman, Calvin Klein, and Chanel.

2. Fifth Avenue- 57th Street.Ending at the beautiful Central Park, Fifth Avenue is unrivalved as the most popular shopping street in America. With Saks, Tiffany’s & Co., and Henri Bendel, not to mention virtually every other retailer in the world with shops lining this avenue, your hands with never be empty!

3. SoHo. W. Houston St. to Canal St.; Broadway to Sixth Ave.
Store to store eclectic shopping district in downtown New York City.

4. Chinatown. China is in the heart of New York City’s lower east side, as Chinatown is one of the most popular shopping districts in the country. With shops lining every inch and goods from all around the world, this is a fun place to shop in the city!

5. Greenwich Village. An expansive shopping district in lower Manhattan, reknown for its bohemian yet sophisticated merchandise and restaurants.

6. Herald Square & The Garment District. Macy’s is just the beginning of this famous district, with every chain store from H&M to Victoria lining the streets of this popular shopping destination.

7. Times Square & The Theater District. Shopping under the glow of neon lights is never more fun than in Times Square, filled with fun stores like Toys R US, the M&M Store, and the MTV store.

8. Diamond District- West 47th Street between Fifth and Sixth Avenues.Great place to find discount… everything, ranging from electronic to clothing.
9. Hell's Kitchen- Ninth Ave. to Tenth Ave., between 42nd and 57th sts. Popular for its small stores with wonderful clothing, housewares, and shoes, Hell’s Kitchen is not only reserved for diners.

10. The Shops at Columbus Circle Mall,Time Warner Center- W. 59th Street. Indoor shopping mall with popular stores and restaurants and beautiful views of Central Park. www.shopsatcolumbus.com
The opinions expressed here are those of the individual and not those of StreetAdvisor.
11 people following
this discussion

43 Comments

uptowngirl Dec 12, 2009
I would add 59th street and Lexington avenue home to Bloomies and stores like New York & Company, Diesel, Victoria's Secret,the Gap, Banana Republic et al to the list.
uptowngirl Dec 30, 2009
Oops how could I forget Century 21 on Fulton Street? Yes its overrun with Euro tourists and you have to hunt through mounds of apparel to find a bargain but its well worth it. Have to mention that the store has a great home section located in its basement and a huge shoe selection in its annex store.
hhusted Dec 30, 2009
What about Broadway and 34th St. Ever see the huge crowds over there. You can't even get through on the street sometimes because the crowd is huge. The last time I went anywhere near Daffy, the place was so packed you couldn't even move hardly. They must be cleaning up with the amount of people going there. My favorite store is KMart. This is two blocks down on 34th and 7th. Their prices are cheap but most stuff is of good quality.
BroadwayBK Jan 01, 2010
I only go to Century 21 when I am feeling up to fighting the crowds, but it's always worth it. Love that place.

There's also an H&M on 59th and Lex, and a Zara. Seems like they are often located next to each other? But that works for me - H&M is super affordable, and Zara may be a bit pricier but everything there fits so well.
uptowngirl Jan 02, 2010
If you are tourist then you should definitely get the Visitor's Card which entitles you to 11% discount on a wide array of purchases at all Macy's stores. This card is available for free at Macy's Herald Square at the Visitor's center located on the 1 and a half floor. You only have to show your passport or some other form of out of the city residence proof to get this discount card. The Macy's discount card can be used repeatedly over a period of 30 days. Bloomingdale's on 59th Street also has a similar visitor's card which also can be procured from it's concierge services department though it is valid only for the day that it is issued and if you need to use it again it needs to be re-validated. Of course you can also avail of discounts if you shop with a friend who has a Macy's or Bloomingdale's premierInsider card.
Uraniumfish Jan 02, 2010
H&M and Zara are both European brands, maybe that's why they stick together? Zara's is a bit more stylish. H&M is considered a kind of KMart equivalent in Europe.

Oh, yeah, and what is it with Europeans and Century 21? First time I ever went there was because I had a German visitor who had it high on the list of things to do.
hhusted Jan 02, 2010
Century 21 is a great clothing store. I have a friend who always shops there. In fact, it is her favorite store. They have clothes that fit practically every size and the clothes are of different types and styles. It is definitely a store to check out. Every time I go into that store with my friend, it is usually crowded. The one I go in is around Union Square (I believe that is the location). If we are at the mall in Hicksville, Long Island, she usually stops by the Century 21 there to.
JenMac Oct 18, 2010
There's a place called Gabay's in the East Village that has a ton of high end shoes for much cheaper. It's a sifty kind of place; but, I found exquisite Marni heels for a third of what they would cost. Awesome find.
Uraniumfish Oct 18, 2010
Wow, cloud graphics...
uptowngirl Oct 18, 2010
Aha JenMac shoes are such a weakness of mine. Unfortunately Hong Kong has a hilly terrain and I am constantly walking up and down hills which makes for great exercise but is murder on your feet. I have put away all my heels and now wear Naturalizer flats or low wedges otherwise my feet hurt constantly.
Uraniumfish Oct 19, 2010
@JenMac Oh, I'll be on that high end shoe place very soon. Thanks for the tip.
BroadwayBK Nov 02, 2010
Is anyone else picturing an Ed Hardy AF JUICY POLO Bikini? That is something I do not want.
JenMac Nov 02, 2010
I would also say that Williamsburg is great for vintage shopping!
uptowngirl Nov 02, 2010
@BroadwayBK LOL I so missed that!
ajadedidealist Nov 03, 2010
The best vintage shopping I've done is at Encore on Madison Avenue in the 70's! Great vintage finds there - dresses, skirts, all sorts of things!
Uraniumfish Nov 06, 2010
@JenMac Success at Gabay's! I scored a pair of Cole Haan boots for ridiculously little money. Now I am fall-complete!
BroadwayBK Nov 06, 2010
I just discovered shoptheloveaffair.com which has pretty good prices on designer shoes/bags - and when I ordered something from them it appeared at my apartment the very next day. Kind of amazing. Of course it's kind of a pain to not be able to try things on, but I have always been up for sending things back.
hhusted Nov 06, 2010
@BroadwayBK: Have you ever shopped at Amazon.com for your clothes. They seem to carry a lot of stuff. Just curious if you do or not.
@Uraniumfish that's great!
uptowngirl Nov 07, 2010
@hhusted I have bought Fit Flops for my mum on Amazon they have the best prices for them
uptowngirl Nov 07, 2010
@BroadwayBK shoptheloveaffair.com is great! You're right about the prices for you rarely find Rebecca Minkoff handbags on sale.
Uraniumfish Nov 10, 2010
I agree, it's a good site.
hhusted Nov 10, 2010
@Everybody: I actually checked out shoptheloveaffair.com to see what you people were talking about. I can see it is a store for women. However, the one great thing I liked about it was the picture of the lady on the home page.
uptowngirl Nov 10, 2010
Speaking of fashion has anyone shopped the premium denim sales that are usually held at the Metropolitan Pavilion on West 18th Street.
uptowngirl Nov 18, 2010
@BroadwayBK I think your post got deleted along with the spam but wanted to ask do we as New York residents now have to pay 4.3% sales tax on clothing and shoes which were formerly exempt from tax if they were under $110? does this also pertain to online shopping? the reason I ask is that order two tops from J.Crew.com and was charged the tax but I also ordered lingerie from bear necessities.com and was not charged the tax? I didn't want to get on the phone and start arguing with them but both packages were sent to Brooklyn and were priced under $110.
nycguy Nov 22, 2010
Century 21 is a favorite of mine!
BroadwayBK Nov 22, 2010
@uptowngirl I think the discrepancy may lie in where those two retailers are shipping from..? Just a guess.
Uraniumfish Nov 22, 2010
I was recently re-impressed with Century 21 because I found some very affordable designer items, but I was there on a weekend and it was packed, and I really loathe having to fight my way through the crowds.
uptowngirl Nov 23, 2010
@BroadwayBK that's a bit weird isn't it I thought sales tax was imposed in the state that the item was shipped to.Anybody planning to do any Black Friday shopping? I wish I could get close to a T.J, Maxx store for apparently they are going to sell the iPad for $399! a whopping $100 off...that's a sweet deal..
Uraniumfish Nov 23, 2010
@uptowngirl I've been reading that stores will be offering Black Friday deals on the Thursday before online, so you may be able to get what you want from abroad after all.
BroadwayBK Nov 23, 2010
@uptowngirl That is a bit of a mystery... I haven't gone shopping on Black Friday ever. Ever! But maybe this year. Apple just sent me about three emails claiming a huge Black Friday sale. We'll see about that.
uptowngirl Nov 23, 2010
@Uraniumfish yes I noticed the stores have already announced the Black Friday deals, Brooks Brothers shirts are down to two for $99 that's quite a reduction and my dad absolutely loves them so maybe I will shop for them and send them to a friend in NY who can then carry them for me.
hhusted Nov 25, 2010
@Everybody: I'm not participating in Black Friday at all. I am still recovering from surgery, so i can't get out. I may just order something online this year and have it delivered. I hate crowds anyway. I can't breathe when around too many people.
uptowngirl Nov 26, 2010
@hhusted online shopping is the best anyway.. though I do sometimes grumble about shipping charges but online shopping + complimentary shipping is the best
ajadedidealist Nov 26, 2010
Agreed - except for vintage shops (and bookstores) and clothes - I can never see how clothes fit!
hhusted Nov 26, 2010
@Ajadedidealist: I never order clothes online, except for underwear. I know my size and the brand I want.
BroadwayBK Nov 28, 2010
I went shopping in Union Square on Friday... it wasn't too bad, surprisingly. But I did get up late; I think I may have missed the crazed Black Friday crowd.
dadndadn Nov 28, 2010
I saw the Fox's Good Day NY about the local shopping search service - helped me a lot. I just wonder if this will be available for other cities or this is something for New York only?

http:// goodzer.com
uptowngirl Nov 28, 2010
@dadndadn That's a great search but so far it seems to be localized for NYC though their about us page says they will soon span the globe! wow that's ambitious!
JenMac Nov 28, 2010
@uraniumfish: I'm a little late on the response, but I'm so glad you liked that place! It had some pretty incredible deals last I was there and the owner is really nice.
uptowngirl Nov 29, 2010
@hhusted , ajadedidealist I only order clothes online from retailers who have good return policies though I have noticed that if you buy an item in store and like it enough to buy a multiple of it online. The item bought online though being of the very same size and style often fits differently. I really wonder why that happens.
Tenn 3 days ago
Senior ladies
I and three ladies are visiting NewYork in June of this year, 2014.
Any shopping suggestions
Tenn 3 days ago
My senior lady friends and I are visiting New York in June of this year, 2014, Any suggestions where to shop?