Who are the best internet providers in Chicago?

The opinions expressed here are those of the individual and not those of StreetAdvisor.
13 people following
this question

10 Answers

Lou Zucaro PRO Jan 09, 2014
This is a question that can get heated fast! The most popular are probably Comcast / Xfinity, AT&T's U-Verse and WoW. You'll easily find people who are passionate - and less than thrilled - with all of them. I would take a look at what's available in your area and, what each offers, and then choose the one that best fits with your internet needs. All will be reliable and offer fast connectivity, so your experience will be determined more than anything else by your installation and how often / what you need customer service help with from whoever you choose. Good luck!
3 votes
koufuki77 Mar 06, 2013
Clear can go out for minutes at a time throughout the day not depending where you are in Chicago. I like that you do not have a contract. You can set it up easily and cancel easily. They have nice little wireless devices which are relatively affordable and mobile. The customer service is good, you just chat online with a rep until it is resolved. When you do have to call, the people on the phone have better English comprehension and less BS then those of AT&T and Comcast, it didn't take hours.
At&t has horrible and slow customer service. Be prepared to camp out on the phone or wait all day for a technician to get there. The internet was okay for what you pay for.
Comcast has hands down the best connection and speed of the three but it cost a little more especially if you get sucked into all of there package deals, and it does go out occasionally usually restarting the router or modem fixes that. You also have to buy the best compatible devices from Staples or bestbuy or something like that for you to actually use what you are paying for.
I have never used RCN before but it gets a lot of bad reviews usually.
I would go with Clear or Comcast. At&t if you want the lowest prices.
2 votes
Anne Rossley PRO Jan 07, 2014
"Best" is a tough answer -- you mean the least difficult/costly?!

We have the Comcast triple play, and while we are always considering a change, it has served us fairly well. We have upgraded to the higher internet speed, and this service has been pretty fast and fairly reliable.

Regarding price -- I think it's necessary to renegotiate every so often to make sure you're getting the lowest price available. I've seen them reduce the pricing if you threaten to move to a different provider.
HubibaAli Jul 16, 2013
Clear is actually pretty good. I had it before comcast and the service wasn't faulty or anything at all. Comcast however is the worst. Their list of accepted modems are all cheap and are always having problems and messing with the internet. You have to pay extra bucks to get a tech over for a problem that shouldn't have even happened also. Prices are pretty finnicky too.
tannerc Mar 04, 2013
AT&T has service and looks pretty promising. They have some pretty decent deals it looks like according to http://www.movearoo.com/availability/60647
wstefaniuk Oct 23, 2012
Wow! is great for cable and internet service. No bait and switch pricing schemes like Comcast.
Brianpeppers78 Apr 17, 2012
clear is unbelievably slow. comcast has fantastic speed, but once those promotional prices drop, you're paying buku bucks. 60 bucks for internet alone. clear is around 42 a month with the modem charge.
LeAnn2
LeAnn2 Comcast is unreal there prices are unreal, like u said on promotional times are good. I bought my own,modem so I dont have that every month anymore.
Jul 22, 2012
Add a comment...
GGChicago Mar 11, 2012
Clear is pretty awful. I had it and it's unreliable and frustrating. I currently have Comcast and it's pretty good and relatively inexpensive.
BCoughlin Aug 26, 2011
I don't like Clear, and my Comcast is great, but it's just like any other internet provider in that you have to push them to give you the best service for the least money.
ChiGrl4 Aug 24, 2011
There aren't many choices...most people have Comcast since they're the only cable provider a lot of people can get. I've had Comcast internet service and it worked well. There's also RCN, AT&T and Clear. I've had RCN in the past too, and it was fine. AT&T service is what I have now, and it's a little slower than the other two, but it's cheaper and not connected to cable service. I don't know about Clear...

Your answer