Who are the best internet providers in Chicago?

The opinions expressed here are those of the individual and not those of StreetAdvisor.
25 people following
this question

20 Answers

Lou Zucaro 2yrs+
This is a question that can get heated fast! The most popular are probably Comcast / Xfinity, AT&T's U-Verse and WoW. You'll easily find people who are passionate - and less than thrilled - with all of them. I would take a look at what's available in your area and, what each offers, and then choose the one that best fits with your internet needs. All will be reliable and offer fast connectivity, so your experience will be determined more than anything else by your installation and how often / what you need customer service help with from whoever you choose. Good luck!
5 votes
koufuki77 2yrs+
Clear can go out for minutes at a time throughout the day not depending where you are in Chicago. I like that you do not have a contract. You can set it up easily and cancel easily. They have nice little wireless devices which are relatively affordable and mobile. The customer service is good, you just chat online with a rep until it is resolved. When you do have to call, the people on the phone have better English comprehension and less BS then those of AT&T and Comcast, it didn't take hours.
At&t has horrible and slow customer service. Be prepared to camp out on the phone or wait all day for a technician to get there. The internet was okay for what you pay for.
Comcast has hands down the best connection and speed of the three but it cost a little more especially if you get sucked into all of there package deals, and it does go out occasionally usually restarting the router or modem fixes that. You also have to buy the best compatible devices from Staples or bestbuy or something like that for you to actually use what you are paying for.
I have never used RCN before but it gets a lot of bad reviews usually.
I would go with Clear or Comcast. At&t if you want the lowest prices.
2 votes
AnthonyM5 Dec 02, 2015
AT&T Uverse is the worst. The $/MB ratio is never good and they raise prices arbitrarily. TV goes fuzzy and sometimes drops completely during storms.
They forced me to switch when I got into some financial troubles. I was consistently late with payments for a few months. I would catch up but catching up but additional fees would cause me to be late the next month. After the fourth month of being late, they cut off my internet and TV. I called the number on the bill but couldn't get through to customer service.
The next day, I got an email stating that I had 10 days to return their equipment or face a $400+ equipment charge. NICE!!! How did they think I supposed read it since they cut the internet off? Luckily I was able to read my personal mail at work.
I switched to Comcast Xfinity and have been much happier. Although, they suck at installation appointments, the service is faster and more reliable. But now they've started with the price raising, so I'm shopping around again.
JoshB Jan 29, 2015
We use Everywhere Wireless. Fast speeds at a fraction of the big boys. everywherewireless.com.
Anne Rossley 2yrs+
"Best" is a tough answer -- you mean the least difficult/costly?!

We have the Comcast triple play, and while we are always considering a change, it has served us fairly well. We have upgraded to the higher internet speed, and this service has been pretty fast and fairly reliable.

Regarding price -- I think it's necessary to renegotiate every so often to make sure you're getting the lowest price available. I've seen them reduce the pricing if you threaten to move to a different provider.
HubibaAli 2yrs+
Clear is actually pretty good. I had it before comcast and the service wasn't faulty or anything at all. Comcast however is the worst. Their list of accepted modems are all cheap and are always having problems and messing with the internet. You have to pay extra bucks to get a tech over for a problem that shouldn't have even happened also. Prices are pretty finnicky too.
tannerc 2yrs+
AT&T has service and looks pretty promising. They have some pretty decent deals it looks like according to http://www.movearoo.com/availability/60647
PilarT
PilarT We have had U-Verse and they stink! The service will go out at the drop of a hat and the internet connection is very slow. We have the premium package that they offer with the "highest speed internet" and if that is fast then I don't want to experience slow speed. I have to call them every month regarding my bill because they cannot keep their prices consistent. Don't do it!!!
Jul 09, 2015
wstefaniuk 2yrs+
Wow! is great for cable and internet service. No bait and switch pricing schemes like Comcast.
1 vote
clear is unbelievably slow. comcast has fantastic speed, but once those promotional prices drop, you're paying buku bucks. 60 bucks for internet alone. clear is around 42 a month with the modem charge.
LeAnn2
LeAnn2 Comcast is unreal there prices are unreal, like u said on promotional times are good. I bought my own,modem so I dont have that every month anymore.
2yrs+
GGChicago 2yrs+
Clear is pretty awful. I had it and it's unreliable and frustrating. I currently have Comcast and it's pretty good and relatively inexpensive.
BCoughlin 2yrs+
I don't like Clear, and my Comcast is great, but it's just like any other internet provider in that you have to push them to give you the best service for the least money.
ChiGrl4 2yrs+
There aren't many choices...most people have Comcast since they're the only cable provider a lot of people can get. I've had Comcast internet service and it worked well. There's also RCN, AT&T and Clear. I've had RCN in the past too, and it was fine. AT&T service is what I have now, and it's a little slower than the other two, but it's cheaper and not connected to cable service. I don't know about Clear...
RonaldA
RonaldA I've have clear, and had clear net zero. Clear is unbelievable slow, but they work with you even dropping there price to keep you, but does nothing for the speed. clear net zero is a joke. they false advertise on t.v. that there are no overage fees. I activated my account on the third of June, and by the 6th they cut me off, saying I went over my usage, and if I wanted to continue I would have to pay $15.00 more for 6 more GB's. that's false advertising, and I should have gotten a lawyer, still thinking. now I'm stuck with a modem that says clear NetZero and cost $49.95 that I will never use again, and don't know any one that wants it. now I have to find a company that won't cut off for over usage, reasonably price, fast internet speed, with cable service, maybe.
2yrs+
TerryB Jan 02, 2016
Hey, thanks for the info. Problemo is that many ISP's appear to concentrate their services in the downtown / near-north/south/west sides and in hugemongous hi-rises. Which rather leaves (most of?) the rest of us battling with ATT (me, for example), RCN (friend of mine). Thanks, SheriH for letting us know HiPoint handles biig (condo?) buildings, like Webpass. Clear and Clear Zero do sound like Zero.
Whatever happened to those Mom & Pop ISP's we could rely on? Anyone remember 'thelist.com'?

Anyway, if you know of a good ISP (outside of ATT, RCN, Comcast..) that services 60618, please lemme know!

Thanks, have a great 2016.
Kevin Mardigian Nov 05, 2015
RCN preferred here. Have used Comcast, AT&T and loving every bit of RCN. My list for Chicago ISP companies: 1) RCN, 2) WOW, 3) AT&T, 4) Comcast.
BrentRJones Sep 28, 2015
Comcast (AKA Xfinity) is expensive--over $60/month. But they are very reliable in Oak Park, IL, and the speeds are down 30 Mbps and up 6 Mbps as of Sept 2015. We have been using Comcast since it was ATT business and MediaOne--about 17 years.
ms_spock Sep 16, 2015
Even though I have an emergency life alarm system that is not compatible with VoIP, last year AT&T knowingly installed U-verse 14 months and 22 technicians later, after repeated upsells to 3 Mbps and advertising 18 Mbps, they advise me that they cannot reliably supply 1,5 Mbps without interruptions because of my location. If you dig very hard you will find a published upload of .384 - 1.0 Mbps. This number is only important if you want two-way communication, like Facebook and Twitter comments, answering email, filling out forms, etc. If you want to win games with high scores or eBay auction bids, forget it. They say I'm lucky to reach .037 max, 0.30 is normal..This is one-third of their promised top end, even with the mythical 3.0 download. Only the field techs have a clue about what they can offer, but they are dispatched by computers and may not work for the responsible department when you do have trouble. How AT&T gets away with such deceit and horrible customer service ought to be illegal. They are big, but definitely not the best.
BrianP2 Apr 08, 2015
Anyone have any experience with Everywhere Wireless or Access Media?
ShelleyF Feb 02, 2015
I'm finally so disgusted with ATT, looking for new service...their customer service is the WORST!! suddenly lost service 3 days ago, tried trouble shooting myself, nothing worked, took me 20 minutes to get a live person on the phone, he took another 20 to tell me he had no idea, another 20 to get a supervisor, finally found out it was their 'hub' that went haywire....they gave me 4 hr. window for service & never showed up...they SUCK!!
Has anyone used VERIZON ISP? they have very good consumer reviews.
JenBennett1 Jan 13, 2015
Webpass provides fast Internet with competitive prices. Check out their yelp reviews!
SheriH 2yrs+
Have you guys tried HiPoint Technology Services, Inc. - They are only for bigger 30+ multi dwelling/tenant unit buildings. However, they are in over 60+ buildings in Chicago and are great. They have 4 1/2 stars on yelp and an A+ rating on the Better business bureau. Worth looking into. They provide business class internet to residential clients and are much cheaper than the big guys.

Your answer

Best Neighborhoods to Live In

Best Cities to Live In

Tell everyone what you love about your neighborhood!

Leave a Review

Have a question?

How are schools? Is the area safe? What about public transit options?" Why not ask our community of locals!

Ask Now

Selling or Renting Your Home?

Maximize the selling price of your home by sharing what you love about your suburb to increase its appeal...

Leave a Review

Corporate Relocation Manager?

Enable your employees to share local knowledge in a private, trusted environment with those relocating... while building community.

Learn More